Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'll just post some details

• No previous IMA issues. No recalibrations since I bought in February. (had been sitting. Did a grid charge and never recalibrated again)
  • Car never gave fits before.
  • There were NO check engine lights before or during this time.
So, this morning before work, I try to start my car. It acts like a traditional car with a very weak battery. It cranks over very slow then stops cranking. The speedo is dim along with a few other lights. I toggle the switch, wait a few minutes and the speedo is bright and the car fires right up.

Drive to work with no issues. Work several hours, go to leave and car starts just fine. Cool....NOT. Go to the gym, try to leave and car won't start, it won't turn over. At first, the dash was pretty well lit. I noticed that the SOC was non existent. mess with ground wire and battery and nothing. Spend 20 mins trying to start car and nothing. By this time, the dash is almost completely dark. I push start it a few times. At first, the car would sputter like out of gas and die. Finally got it going and had to stay on the gas pretty hard. When I would take off, I pretty much had to slip the clutch and keep the car floored on the interstate. If I ran less than about 75% throttle, the car would buck some. During this time, the ABS, Brake and EPS lights are on and bright.

Luckily, I make it home. All the accessories are about useless. Can't turn on the defrost or any climate adjustments. Check my 12v battery and only have about 7volts. I plug in my grid charger and it says my IMA only has 160v.

I'm puzzled that this started out of nowhere with no signs. I plan on getting a new 12v battery and disabling the IMA if I have too.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advanced.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
I think your 12V has simply worn out. Buy a new one for starters. How old is the battery?

If the battery is relatively new, then it could be a bad ground cable, or corrosion at the terminals. It could also be one of the two cables under the air cleaner, which cround the engine and transmission, could be bad. Give all three a good look and a good hard tug.

Exhausted 12V batteries act much as you describe. Could be something else, but my bet is on the 12V.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your 12V has simply worn out. Buy a new one for starters. How old is the battery?

If the battery is relatively new, then it could be a bad ground cable, or corrosion at the terminals. It could also be one of the two cables under the air cleaner, which cround the engine and transmission, could be bad. Give all three a good look and a good hard tug.

Exhausted 12V batteries act much as you describe. Could be something else, but my bet is on the 12V.
Thanks Jime! I think it's from 2013 so I'm sure it's more than toast. It was at around 7v once I got home. I was thinking that it could be a bad battery, but I researched for a few minutes and were seeing more people talk about a bad IMA not charging a battery.

Tonight, I disconnected the bcm, IMA off, jumped and it fired right up. I immediately disconnected the jumper battery and it ran fine.

I'll look into a battery tomorrow when I get off work. I noticed that 51R is the only factory option for the battery, but are there cheaper alternatives other than riding mower/moto batteries? I'm not against a very small battery if it did the trick. Im just not sure well they hold up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's good....and a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Just been having some bad feelings about this car lately.

Anyways, Been seeing that the U1 riding mower batteries are a fan favorite so I might try. Best bet, save about $100. Worst bet, lose about $20

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
It is a group 51. Not a 51R. The R is for reverse terminals.

Scott

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Buy a decent 12v battery, it leads a hard life unless you cut the dc-dc wire in the back. (I have)
Also redo the engine bay earth leads if they are at all dodgy..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the long delay. It absolutely was the 12v battery. That thing was toast. Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Horn12007
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing