Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't feel like paying $250 for a front brake job at the dealer so I decided to do it myself. That's where my problem began.
We have two Insights. One manual and one CVT. I started with the brakes on the CVT tonight. The pads I received from a local auto parts store don't look anything like the pads I took off the car.
I haven't looked at the manual's front brakes yet but it look like there is a different front braking system on the CVT's compaired to that of the manual cars. It looks like the caliper, caliper mounting bracket, pads, and pad retaining clips are all different.

I find that the CVT brakes install like this.
- Take the two caliper retaining bolts off (both are the same size)
- Pull the caliper off (it comes off w/o the pads)
- Pull the pads off the caliper mounting braket to replace.
- Remount caliper over pads and install bolts

The 5-speed manual I think goes like this.
- Take only one(the lower) retaining bolt off the caliper, losen the larger upper, and rotate the caliper up with the pads still attache to the caliper.
- Replace the pads on the caliper
- Swing the caliper w/ pads back down and install the lower bolt and tighten the upper.

All the online photos I've found and the service manual I have show the manual swing type of braking system.

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't know about the 5 speed's brakes pads, but when I replaced my 02 CVT front pads last year, the auto parts store gave me the wrong pads. I found out the hard way after removing the old pads, I opened up the box and the new pads looked nothing like the old ones. I checked with 2 other auto parts stores and they all listed the same "wrong" part#. I had to actually bring the old pad to them in order to get the correct part. It seems there are at least 2 different front brake pads used on Insights. Not sure if it's different between 5 speed and CVT or perhaps different model years.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
All CVTs have a different front suspension. I read somewhere it is because the CVT weighs more (with the transmission and standard A/C)...(You would think an additional 125 lbs would not make that much of a difference) I just found the link again here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-cv ... TExplained
Under the category of "Other mechanical differences" is says "Front coil springs are different due to difference in weight of transmissions"

Edit: I forgot to mention earlier that it also means there are different brake pads on all CVTs :D

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Good story and pics...I could see where there would be a problem without the pins and spring clip :shock:

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda Part Numbers

Ok, I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the wrong parts again so this time I went straight to the dealer.
MY wife called around to all the dealers in our area trying to find one that had the pads in stock. The 9th call found one. My wife said that she had a hard time convincing them that there were two part numbers for the front brake pads. She would have to listen to the parts guys speel about not having the need for two types. Then she'd ask him to look up this number and after he did that set him straight.
I ended up paying $53 for each set. The parts guy knocked some off. I think thier like $63 to $73

So, here's the Honda Front Brake Pads part numbers.

Manual 45022-s3y-a02

Automatic 45022-s3y-a10

·
Registered
495 Posts
Peoplel;

Just came across this discussion ... Thank You for the tips here. They're very much appraciated.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts