Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will P175/65R14 tires on stock insight rims fit without clearance issues on the insight? I know I will take a hit on mileage.

Thanks,

Shawn :?:

·
Registered
16 Posts
?

Why would you want to change just the tire size? The only motivation i can see in messing with all that is to get a better looking set of rims. The performance gain will be insanely minimal. Is it an availablity or cost issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock tires have a 40,000 mile rating, I actually got about 28,000 miles out of a set which for me is a bit over 1 year of use. If I can go with 175 I can get a set of Michelins that are rated at 80,000 and cost almost the same at sears on sale. I know mileage will add up but I just want to avoid the big 400 layout at a time every year for new tires.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
$400? You can pick up the potenza's for I think less than $60 at tire rack and have em mounted and balanced for a couple bucks a tire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A little off subject, but to the last post:
I recently had my tires mounted and rebalanced and paid $50 @ an independent service station opposed to my Honda dealer's $60 price quote. I was told that because us Insighters have Alloy wheels, the price is higher. Did I get ripped off?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
about ten years ago, I drove a volvo and ran into the same problem.
A few places wouldn't even mess with my car due to the alloy wheels.
I was told that they are very easy to damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
YES , THE 175\65\14 WILL FIT, BUT BY GOING TO A 195\55\14 YOU CAN CURE A LOT OF THE COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE INSIGHT.
HONDA PICKED A HARD RUBBER, NARROW TIRE FOR MAXIMUM GAS MILEAGE.
THE MAJOR COMPLANTS ABOUT THE INSIGHT WERE LESS THAN AVERAGE HANDLING IN CURVES, AVERAGE STOPPING, ROUGH RIDE, LINE GROOVES IN THE ROAD WOULD TOSS THE CAR AROUND, AND BEING PUSHED AROUND IN THE WIND.
I WENT TO THE DUNLOP SP 8000 195\55\14 AFTER A 1,000 MILES FOR SAFETY REASONS. I AM AN AUTO INSURANCE ADJUSTER AND I DRIVE ABOUT 100 MILES A DAY. THE CAR NOW HANDLES LIKE A GOOD SPORTS CAR, GREAT TRACTION, STOPS ON A DIME, AND THE GROOVES IN THE ROAD DO NOT FAZE THE STRAIGHT LINE TRAVEL. THE RIDE WITH THE LARGER TIRES IS SO MUCH SMOOTHER THAN THE STOCK TIRES.
BECAUSE I DO A LOT OF IN-TOWN DRIVING, I WAS GETTING AN AVERAGE OF 52.4 MILES PER GALLON. WITH THE NEW TIRES, I GET 50.8 MPG. ON A STRAIGHT FREEWAY RUN AT 65-70 MILES PER HOUR I GET 63.6 MILES PER GALLON.
THE NEW TIRES MAKE THE CAR A LOT SAFER AND A LOT MORE FUN TO DRIVE.
THE INSIGHT WHEEL WELL WILL TAKE A 205 TIRE, BUT THE STOCK RIM IS NOT WIDE ENOUGH TO HANDLE THE LARGER TIRE.

ROBERT :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts