Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
My 2005 manual shift 1st gen Insight has become hard to shift. I have to push the shift lever to the right before moving it into 3rd gear and now have difficulty getting into 1st.
Is this a linkage problem or am I facing a transmission rebuild?
How difficult or involved is changing the transmission?
I love my Insight.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Where are you located. If in the salt area, check/lube all connections/cables on top of the transmission.
Please include your Location in your profile.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
To edit your location, click on the small avatar in the top right. There could be other Insight owners in your area to help. Anyway, moderators can see your location and I see that you are in a location having salty air, so rust and corrosion might be the issue - as Willie says.

As you probably noticed before this difficult started, there is a spring in the transmission shifting mechanism which pushes the shifter right into the 3rd/4th gate location when you shift up from 2nd. My guess is that tje spring cannot overcome the resistance in the mechanism, caused by corrosion.

klr3cyl rebuilds the transmissions professionally and knows them inside/out. Hopefully he will be along before too long to comment on specifics. Transmission changes aren't terribly difficult if you are handy with tools. There are threads in the IC archives on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Start by checking the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Bluesipper:
Please include your Location in your Profile. as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello.
My location is Daytona Florida. I bought the car in Illinois a little less than a year ago.
It has 170,000 miles on it.
I have another identical 2006.
Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Real simple to do. Click on your AVATAR at the top/right of this screen. Click on Account settings, fill out the location section, scroll to the bottom of page and click on save. DONE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts