Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Actually, no: I didn't see it coming. If anything, I expected them to do a Chrysler and offer fixed-price gas or something of the sort, and maybe increase their advertising budgets. That has, after all been their strategy for most of my lifetime: 1) Deny reality; 2) Spend lots of money trying to convince your customers to go along with your denial.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... GM to close 4 factories, may drop Hummer. Automaker to curtail truck, SUV production amid soaring fuel prices. I bet you couldn't see that coming ..."
Ohhhh Yes I did! :)

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
There are those who believe dinosaurs never went extinct but turned into birds. I'm thinking the Chevy Volt will be the first bird. ;) Considering how GM is investing in China, I would guess that Chinese based EVs will be their second generation of bird. You can bet for every plant that closes in North America at least one is openning somewhere else. I look forward to seeing the Volt. :D

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
You can bet for every plant that closes in North America at least one is opening somewhere else.
Kind of makes the idea of American / domestic car company a thing of the distant past.... most of the parts are already made outside the U.S.... by non-domestic workers... using non-domestic materials.... and there is lots of assembly done out side the U.S.... The companies are owned and controlled by stock holders who might be domestic or might not... In short... unless you have done the leg work to research and verify that a product such as a particular car is actually made in the U.S. Domestically and how much of it is made here... and how much was made non-domestically... you can not accurately just assume the "Domestic" car companies are any more Domestic than the "Foreign" car companies...

But that is just a global economy... good thing for the human species... to get past this archaic concept of countries and borders... Us vs Them kind of thinking does not help the Human Species as a whole... but until the human species socially evolves more... it will hurt local economies.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
On the other hand, a lot of those "foreign" cars (including Honda & Toyota) were actually built in the US. And US automakers manage to produce & sell fairly fuel-efficient cars in Europe. It rather reminds me of the old story (Mark Twain, I think) about the man who started a rumor that they'd struck gold in Hell. Pretty soon everyone in town was headed off to the new diggings, and when he saw the exodus, he figured there must be something to the story, so he went too. Same with the US automakers: they started the story about how Americans don't want small, fuel-efficient cars, and spend billions on advertising to convince them. Now they've started believing their own advertising, and are following it off - if not to Hell, at least to impending bankruptcy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
IamIan said:
b1shmu63 said:
You can bet for every plant that closes in North America at least one is opening somewhere else.
Kind of makes the idea of American / domestic car company a thing of the distant past.... most of the parts are already made outside the U.S.... by non-domestic workers... using non-domestic materials.... and there is lots of assembly done out side the U.S.... The companies are owned and controlled by stock holders who might be domestic or might not... In short... unless you have done the leg work to research and verify that a product such as a particular car is actually made in the U.S. Domestically and how much of it is made here... and how much was made non-domestically... you can not accurately just assume the "Domestic" car companies are any more Domestic than the "Foreign" car companies...

But that is just a global economy... good thing for the human species... to get past this archaic concept of countries and borders... Us vs Them kind of thinking does not help the Human Species as a whole... but until the human species socially evolves more... it will hurt local economies.
You and the New World Order may think that way. Hey, how are those secret Bilderberg meetings going, by the way? :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
...to get past this archaic concept of countries and borders... Us vs Them kind of thinking does not help...
Perhaps (taking the previous post as a case in point) the problem is not so much the fact of "Us vs Them" thinking, as it is a failure to properly categorize Us and Them. There are times when, looking at some of my fellow citizens, I quite frankly find myself wondering if we're even members of the same species...

·
Registered
741 Posts
ibjeff said:
Automaker to curtail truck, SUV production amid soaring fuel prices.
It's a repeat of the 1970s: "Americans want large cars. Americans want large cars. Americans want large cars." Then when gas prices skyrocketed, and Americans went to small Japanese cars, the American companies REFUSED to change to smaller cars. Most of them would have disappeared if Reagan had not saved them with a 1980s government loan.

I wonder if Obama will step-in and save them again? I hope not.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." American manufacturers never learned their lesson from the 1970s, and we taxpayers should not bail them out a second time.
IamIan said:
It doesn't do the human species any good to help Communist China become the next dominant superpower either. It sets the cause for human liberty/freedom backwards, if 1 billion of its members are enslaved under a totalitarian government, and the other 5 billion are dependent on that gov't for their goods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts