Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks excellent! would love to see some more photos! I went as far as dipping my wheels but am very interested in going for a full car dip

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks excellent! would love to see some more photos! I went as far as dipping my wheels but am very interested in going for a full car dip
There's more pics when you click the link. Not sure if you saw those.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Damn! You beat me to it! I was planning on dipping my Insight also with the new sprayer kit! Looks great by the way!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Ok, somebody please help me out here, what has the OP done here? Does dipping refer to a new paint job? Or something else?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Is this dip any durable than the spray on rattle can Plasti dip? I think Im going to spray my insight in lizzard skin as Im tired or scratches and such. :evil:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Needs smoked headlight covers.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
"Plasti dip" tells me nothing. I assume you are not actually "dipping" the car in a vat of molten plastic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"Plasti dip" tells me nothing. I assume you are not actually "dipping" the car in a vat of molten plastic.
Let me google that for you
Pretty much spray on plastic, comes in aerosol cans like spray paint or by the gallon to be used in a spray gun.

My paint has seen better days, maybe I'll dip mine with electric lime green eventually.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow! That is beautiful!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me google that for you
Pretty much spray on plastic, comes in aerosol cans like spray paint or by the gallon to be used in a spray gun.

My paint has seen better days, maybe I'll dip mine with electric lime green eventually.
Hey now. I am working on a citrus color for those who want a citrus without the premium and waiting for the few to go up FS. ;)

I am an authorized dipyourcar installer and dealer of their products. Performix makes a number of products in various consistencies. I use some for shielding/potting electronics (rated to 1400v I believe).

Any how this formula is rubber dip spray by the gallon. It is reversible and removable. Some VW guys change their color every month. The RDS does not hurt the paint and actuall protects it like wrap. Those of you like Willie that do these extreme trips may want to consider it. You can even spray a bra on the front for rock protection on these hwy trips.

Different colors have different coverage requirements. If doing black, it has great coverage. I tried to squeeze 1gal black and 1gal clear gloss (matte) but its really stretching it. To do it right, 3 gal should do it.

A nice thing about it is if you change colors, you leave the existing dip as a basecoat and spray right over it for great adhesion and even more protection. The sprayer is a UK market Earlex that just started making its way to the USA with better atomization and finish than a wagner or graco etc. HVLP sprayer with custom needle.

This was my test car and I've learned some things I would change on my next go but overall the result was good. On protective note, I just trailered this G1 500mi this weekend and where a car usually gets sandblasted, I only see one chip in the dip on the hood (paint was unharmed) and its a part I had planned to redo once I got more product. I had a curious flying bug problem while spraying and one of the things I would do different is screen in the spray area (garage) to prevent these bugs from getting high in my finish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey now. I am working on a citrus color for those who want a citrus without the premium and waiting for the few to go up FS. ;)
I already have a citrus, my paint just isn't in amazing shape. Not bad, but not amazing. I like that the citrus stands out from most other cars, but if I were to pay to do anything to it, I would want it to really stand out like the electric lime green. I have plenty of time to think it over, this is pretty far down the to-do list.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
I'm looking at how you peeled the plasti dip off the headlights. What happens if you try to grab a chunk that's on the rest of the car, would it peel off like that too or does is it more permanent to the surfaces that were previously painted?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking at how you peeled the plasti dip off the headlights. What happens if you try to grab a chunk that's on the rest of the car, would it peel off like that too or does is it more permanent to the surfaces that were previously painted?
Its not permanent anywhere. It has something like a 8 year life. If your coverage is adequate, most comes off in a large piece. I'm going to redo the hood and rear bumper as I when I did the car originally I had washed the car beforehand and you should wait a day for it to be totally dry first. The water will find a way to mess up your night otherwise.

Besides the bugs wanting to mate with my fresh finish, the insight turns into a giant heatsink at dusk due to its mostly aluminum construction and this causes condensation which can further complicate adhesion.

I will see if I can video the removal of the hood piece for documentation.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks brilliant!! Needs a new emblem though.
Does Plastidip come in white?
Yes it does. There are a lot of options however they do start to add up. There are aluminizers, metallizers, glossifiers, pigments, pearls, etc and the car is your canvas.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts