Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Insight with and inbuilt GPS/SATNAV system. I want to disable this so that it no longer automatically/continuously scans + picks up the satellite signals. Can this be done? if so how easy/difficult is it. At the moment I have been quoted that it will be 1 hour's labour, which is expensive, and that they cannot guarantee it will stop picking up the satellite signals. Ideally I want to keep the radio connection but I do not want to have the signal continuously updating - even when I don't need to use the SatNav.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Start by telling us what country you are in as the NAV units vary.

Then tell us why this is important to you.

My first thought is just disconnecting the SAT antenna. Of course the unit may still be able, under certain conditions, to still find signal. That's probably why they cannot give you any guarantees. I think sat antenna is integrated with the radio one on the roof. Can you access online parts diagrams?

Perhaps you could just cover the Insight with tin foil? (Sorry I couldn't resist)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disabling sat nav/gps

Hi - thanks for that egads.

I am in the UK and its a 2009 Insight. Its important as, judging by your final comment as you guessed, it is because of wanting to stop exposure to constant electromagnetic field which is very strong with no way to turn it off. I can use my mobile instead - which also strong EMF but I can use it only when I really have to for satnav.

I am not sure I would know what to do if I could access parts diagrams. The satnav manual has no specifics in it - just says the unit is under the dashboard, but nothing more specific.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Um, you know the satnav isn't broadcasting anything, right? It's only receiving signals already being broadcast. Disconnecting the antenna to "stop exposure to strong electromagnetic field" is maximum nonsense. Your cell phone actually does broadcast, and the signal strength reaching you from it is going to be much stronger than ambient GPS sat signals to boot.

This is just silly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
disabling satnav

samwische

I have a machine that tests for emf from mobile phone masts, wifi etc. When I turn the engine on it makes a very loud noise that goes in long pulses. Do you know what this might be?

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
On the Insight? Could be the massive system of cycling electromagnets under the hood called the IMA motor. Or the coil packs. Or leakage from the electronics compartment behind the seats? Lots of stuff going on back there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It is indeed a massive electric charging, storing, and transmitting system. I doubt any hybrid or pure electric vehicle will be acceptable to you if you have emf sensitivity. Sam is right, satellites are beaming signals to earth constantly. There is no escape.

You might try using your meter in a non NAV equipped Insight to confirm that the emf is, as we think, from the IMA system. In fact you could pull all the fuses powering the NAV and test your own car that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
egads
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing