Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if the rest of you feel the same, but I was dissatisfied with the tires that came stock on my Insight.

For a $22k car, I am shocked that Honda would allow any of its vehicles to come with Temperature B Dunlop tires? I am also very disappointed with the 175/65/15 tire size on the Insight. This size limits the manufacturers that we can choose from. My local Michelin rep told me that if I was willing to go with 180/60/15's, that I wouldnt notice any difference, but since I just bought the car, the Yokohama exchange at the dealer made the most sense.

Thus, before I bought my new Insight, I required my dealer to remove the garbage Dunlop tires and replace them with Yokohama's(dont believe me that the stock Dunlop tires suck? Check tirerack.com). It cost me an additional $389.00 out of pocket, but I noticed an immediate difference from the test drive. One other note, my Honda dealer's service rep said that the orginal stock tires that come on the car have no dealer warranty whereas the Yokohama's that I paid extra for, do come with a 1 year road hazard warranty through the Honda dealership.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. Yeah, the dunlops have sucked for a lot of people. I managed almost 40 thousand, then went to the avids. Big difference, but I do notice a strange tire noise like the transmission on the segway. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avid Strange Highway Tire Noise

Cobb and fellow Insight owners, thanks for the welcome.

With volatile gas prices and the weakening of the US dollar, it made sense to me to purchase a vehicle that is both affordable and efficient throughout its life cycle. I wasn’t aware the 1GEN Insights came with 14" wheels, and such awesome MPG. I guess the 15's that my Insight came with aren’t so bad after all. I wonder how much MPG the 2011 losses with 15” wheels?

With regards to maximizing efficiency, I doubt that I will ever change the factory tire size. Some say that 185's and 195's will work, but some also say 5w20works too and I disagree with both assumptions. I will continue to explore various ways to maximize efficiency, and I would appreciate your sharing viable solutions. I promise I will.

I have a strong knowledge of automobile manufacturing and supply chain management. Based on my scientific research of peer reviewed journal articles, Honda is superior in every conceivable way and Toyota is close behind. Are you aware that in Japan, the furthest a supplier is from the manufacturing plant is 81 miles? Any guess how far the furthest GM supplier is from a GM plant? If you want the answer, I will provide it, I used to work in the GM supply chain. Honda’s present day quality is unsurpassed by any other vehicle manufacturer and if Honda feels that 175/65-15's are the most efficient option, then I simply have to be thankful that Yokohama's make the size I/we need. Similarly, 1GEN Insight owners are fortunate that Bridgestone makes their size. Most small tire manufacturers like Falken and Dunlop are worthless. With regards to 0W20 Synthetic, that is the way I will go on my first oil change at 5K miles. Currently I am leaning towards Mobil1 since they are US owned and since Alaskan oil, next to Nigerian oil, is the best in the world. By the way, my research suggests that Shell oil is superior, but Royal Dutch Shell business practices are not.

Question, what other things have you done to personalize your Insight as well as to make it more efficient? I plan to buy a Thule bike rack soon complete with the MOAB. I love my car car and despite the rear legroom issue and the fact that the AC does cut off when I stop in traffic or at traffic lights (contrary to what my dealer rep said), I think dollar for dollar it is currently superior to the Prius (I heavily researched both vehicles prior to my recent purchase). One more thing, the 2011 Insight seat height adjustment arm and steering wheel mounted paddle shifters are great ideas.

I hope you and the other Insight owners are willing to share helpful suggestions, I will.

Glenn/ILUVMY2011EX

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey, I feel you on the tire situation. I was just commenting in the Blizzak topic about winter tires. My 2010 Insight LX is a car I like, don't get me wrong, but I have never fallen in love with this car because of quirks like the tire thing...

Here is my experience... I bought my Insight in May 2010, I used the stock Dunlop tires, switched them out last November for winter Blizzaks, then put them back on in March this year. I drive a lot, but I only put a hair over 25k miles on the Dunlops and the front two (that were rotated out this past March) were completely balding and I had to get them thrown out. The others that were on the rear appear to be usable again, but not for long. For stock tires to last 25,000 miles is hugely disappointing to say the least, and again I agree for a $20,000 car it is a ****ty deal for the tires.

I think Honda made a mistake going with the 175 width. If they would have made the tires wider, say 195/65-15, then tread likely would last longer and we'd have a superior selection of tires. The *only* winter tire I can find to fit is the Blizzak, I don't have much of a choice...

How much fuel efficiency can you possibly achieve by making the tires narrow at a 175 width vs a more standard 195 width?? It can't possibly be enough to overcome the fact that this short width causes more tire treadwear than average and less tire selection when looking to replace tires.

Tires are one huge down side to the Insight. If I keep this car for the longer term, I would see if there were a set of steel wheels that could increase the tire size capacity to 195/65-15 and still work in the Insight's form. But if I have the money I'm still considering trading mine in next spring...

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
All the previous i1 and 2010 i2 have the same wheel and tire size for that series. Most tire dealers can do a plus size and upfit you to a wider tire, allowing you to use the same rim and compensate for the taller size by going to a lower profile tire. +1, +2, +3 and so on.

I do not think its Hondas fault, lots of economy cars came out with small sizes that are difficult to find. The geo metro had 12 inch rims for a majority of its run til the last few years, later went to 13 inch. Ever see a tire for a 12 inch rim? Thankfully its a 100x4 so there are plenty of wheels you can put on that car and go to a 13,14, 15 rim, etc.

Larger wheels typically give a better ride as well as wider tires, so its not uncommen for most owners to upgrade. Its just with the hybrid it has a greater effect on mpg than most cars.

Interestingly enough the prius 3 cars I have rented or drive all came with yok tires. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
^It is definitely an industry wide thing with the tire fittings. All I can say is that I'm going to look into keeping the wheels and installing wider tires if possible then. It is certainly easier than investing into new wheels if it will work with the stock ones.

BTW, I don't consider the Insight an "economy" car per se. It is an economical car, but it isn't an "economy" car... IMO

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's some news for anyone looking to upsize tires on the original Insight 2010 LX with stock steel wheels. I successfully installed a set of 185/60 15 tires on my 2010 LX model this weekend. The tires fit perfectly, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for more stability. That extra width may not be a lot, but it is significant enough to help keep the car locked to the pavement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm at 40K on my Dunlops and I'm looking into camber bolts for the front because it's warn down the insides of the font 2 tires. ...On alignment and rotation the rear 2 moved up front are now having the same wear pattern only 3K later. I'm wondering if this is just normal for those tires to wear so odly on whichever side it leans to.

I guess I can't complain too much, 40K out of those noisy pieces doesn't seem to bad from what a few of you said.

50MPG Calculated > 42 PSI steady > 40K on OEM tires... Bridgestone ecopia is next on the list, can't wait to move on. I just hope the fuel economy is the same and that the ride quality and noise is MUCH better.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The honda fit camber bolts fit.

Interesting you have that wear issue as I don't, am lowered 2 inches and running -3 degrees on the front.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll post some pictures, but the entire tire is almost out of tread, but the very inner edge of the bottom tread is GONE. It's not severe I guess for the amount of total tread left, but in order to get the best overall wear I'll throw in the camber bolts and get it aligned to the best of my ability.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I rotate my tires every 5 thousand miles. They appeared evenly worn across the tread pattern, almost slick after I did a 4 wheel drift taking an off ramp.

Wonder if you have the aluminum control arms?They changed from stamped steel ones to solid aluminum ones later on to reduce ground or road noise.

Negative camber does help cornering. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could you produce the information on these control arms? I've been looking for a mention and looked at some parts websites and have found nothing saying they have changed the control arms.

Also, any other weight saving or ride improving technologies anyone could shed light onto would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I was at a local dealer and laid down under the newer style Insight on the floor. First thing I noticed different than the bumper turn signals was the dull aluminum lower control arms.

Road noise is a balance between tire tread and insulation of the cabin.

As for handling the setup is messed up by Honda. The Insight has a sport type suspension as to why its soo tight vs cushy like a 10 year old camry. The CRZ, the sports car, has a cushy suspension.

Part of it is the spring rate and shock valving. Springs hod the car up, shocks control the way it bounces.

I have tanabe lowering firmer springs and a progressive rear sway bar. I wanted to reduce roll and sway.

You can get coil overs and a few different set of springs as well as several sway bars and other parts to firm up the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got Yokohama AVID Touring-S 195/60 R15 installed on my Insight this weekend. Those Dunlops lasted me about 29k miles and are utter trash. Handling has greatly improved, which will be safer for my family and I. :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the ECONOCOPIA Bridgestones and they are a major improvement over the dunlops. Except they roll much more than my dunlops, so it makes things much different. The only way to keep my fuel mileage similar to the dunlops we're to max out the tire pressure, this also helped with the tire folding and rolling under the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wheels, tires

So what kind and size of tires are the guys running 16-inch wheels using? (As in the mod pics.) I'm dying already to upgrade the stock rims on my 2013 EX to something way cool, but don't have a clue what kinds of wheel/tire size combinations I can use with stock suspension.

Thx in advance for details you can share.

JC

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Just go to tirerack.com they have a calculator to do plus sizing so you can get larger wheels, lower profile tires and keep the same overall outside diameter to not effect the speed o. Weight will effect mpg, accelerating and braking. I think the 15 inch wheels are fine, however I would like to try a taller tire. I am on my second pair of yokohoma tires in the oem size at almost 70 thousand miles.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
943 Posts
So what kind and size of tires are the guys running 16-inch wheels using? (As in the mod pics.) I'm dying already to upgrade the stock rims on my 2013 EX to something way cool, but don't have a clue what kinds of wheel/tire size combinations I can use with stock suspension.

Thx in advance for details you can share.

JC
Standard OEM size on UK 16" wheels is 185/55r16. It's the same size as on some Jazz / Fit models. I've seen some Jazz drivers mention they've changed to 195/55r16 to give them a wider selection.

On the UK I2s (on 16" wheels) the speedo under-reads by about 3-4%. The slighly larger rolling circumference should make it slighly more accurate

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the post. My Generals which were on the 2010 EX I purchased used are about at the end of their life and I am looking at either the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 or Hankook Optimo H727, also upsizing from the original 175/65 15 to 195/60 15. The one dealer I went to said I should only upsize to 185/60 15 but I would prefer the wider 195 tire. Have you had any problems going to this size?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts