Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having bad luck with dealers and my Insight.

I took it in to get an oil change yesterday and when I got in my car I turn it on to find:

--- mpg 041279

They had somehow cleared the lifetime mileage of the car. I'm guessing this happened when trying to turn off the maintenance light, I mean I wouldn't think it's really something you can do on accident. Both trips, which I use for my tank average, and my average since owning the car, went along with it. Strangely enough, the segment trip was not reset, but it wasn't anything important. I'm guessing there is no way to undo this, especially since I've driven ~100 miles since.

On top of that the check engine light was on. It ended up turning off after ~25 miles. Any idea what that's about? Would I still be able to find out what the code was or should I not worry about it?

I was going to stop by the dealer again on my way home from work, but now that the CEL is off, I don't know what they're going to be able to do.

I'm changing my own oil from now on.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
:roll: Not impressive!

Is the lifetime mileage beginning to register again?

You definately need to report this to the service manager.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the "lifetime" mileage is now displaying about 80 mpg. It was only 50 before it got reset. Now I'm going to be crazy about not letting anyone else drive my car for fear they'll mess up my mileage. Oi.

My step dad called the dealer for me last night when I got home and they said to stop by today. But since the CEL went off I don't know what they could have done, so I didn't stop by. I'm going to write them a letter.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
Letters have a habit of going into the "round file". Personal contact is much better. My two cents.

Willie

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Someone on another forum said I'd still be able to get the code even though the CEL is off, so I probably will end up going back. Just didn't feel like going by myself yesterday, I probably would have cried.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Bastards... :evil:

No letters*, for something like this, you need to visit them, crying or not, and express your enormeous displeasure at their ham-handedness. :(

Be sure and stress the importance us Insighters place on an accurate LMPG, something I would consider as an accurate financial guide to the value of any Insight I would consider purchasing from a previous owner. They have effectively placed a big asterisk next to the historic value of your car. Also explain (they are obviously unaware) of the relative difficulty of erasing the LMPG display, which leads me (and you) to believe their techs are woefully unprepared to service your precious vehicle, and tend to not resort to researching documented procedures, but when they meet an unfamiliar event, they tend to just throw stuff at the problem until it goes away. I hope the dealer's doctor doesn't have that same attitude.... :(

Good luck, let us know how it goes for you...

*Alfred Hitchcock once famously said, "Murder is easy. Disposing of a body is hard." Meaning, if you show up, they won't be able to overlook your "body" until they take care of your complaint. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.