Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did my first discharge to 120v and currently 20 hours into the charge. My target was 24 hours but I saw in another thread how this first charge shouldn't be less than 30, and another place 24 to 35 hours. Can someone please verify?

I planned on doing another cycle to 100v but temps will be in the 90s for the next week so it will have to wait. It's my understanding that the second and third charges should be 24 hours each.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yesterday I did my first discharge to 120v and currently 20 hours into the charge. My target was 24 hours but I saw in another thread how this first charge shouldn't be less than 30, and another place 24 to 35 hours. Can someone please verify?
The charge varies from ~24 hours to 35 hours depending on the battery and ambient (in the car) temperature etc. You want to charge until you see 174 Vdc and then charge for a few hours more.

I hope you have a 4 digit DVM to acurately read the voltage.

I planned on doing another cycle to 100v but temps will be in the 90s for the next week so it will have to wait. It's my understanding that the second and third charges should be 24 hours each.

Thanks!
I discharge to ~15 volts in one giant step. I have info on my website (see link below, navigate to the "V2 gridcharger/discharger) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I do have a DVM.

It took me around 8 hours to get from 157v to 120v using the twin 60 watt bulb discharger. I'm not sure if that's considered good or bad. I planned on going lower but with the heatwave coming I don't have a climate controlled area to perform this.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for the response. I do have a DVM.

It took me around 8 hours to get from 157v to 120v using the twin 60 watt bulb discharger. I'm not sure if that's considered good or bad. I planned on going lower but with the heatwave coming I don't have a climate controlled area to perform this.
The better the battery the longer the discharge will take. 8 hours to get to 120v sounds like a battery that ought to respond to a rejuvenation. You will start to see drops of a volt or so as the weaker cells start dropping out. That's normal as along as you keep the discharge current below 300 ma or so.

If you can monitor the discharge current you might need to use higher wattage bulbs (or a single bulb below 120 v) to keep the dishcharge current around 200 ma or less. I made a screw in shorted light bulb substitute so I can run one bulb later in the discharge cycle. You could make up an adapter to wire in a millamp meter instead of one light bulb when the voltage is around 120v. Check the polarity of the light bulb socket to protect the meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts