Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to keep my beloved 2006 Honda Insight going. She developed piston slap a few months ago, so I'm undertaking an engine rebuild. Upon inspection, the cylinders still look beautiful, but the pistons are a little loose and showing some slight wear. So looks like an easy fix, but then I find the standard size piston rings (13011-PHM-004) are discontinued, and I can't find any other source. So a few questions to experts out there.
1) Anyone with a clever source for these standard size piston rings?
2) The parts list gives two different codes for the standard pistons (13010-PHM-010 and 13010-PHM-A50). Is there any relevant difference between these?
3) Is my only option (assuming the standard sizes ones are all gone) to buy oversized pistons and rings and have them machined down?

Thanks.
-Josh

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
Looked on eBay and found both of the part numbers you listed for sale....new. I am sure one is for the CVT engine and one is for the manual engine. If you figure out which one you need and have trouble finding them on eBay PM me and I would be glad to talk or text you through it so you can order them! COASTIES (Chris)馃憤馃榿馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
Based on my quick research WITHOUT parts list, past mechanical knowledge of the insight pistons or rings etc., I found that the numbers you posted are for the pistons (like you mentioned) and it looks like the part number for the rings is Ring Set, Piston (Over Size) (0.25) - Honda (13021-PHM-004).

oddly enough the two different piston numbers show the same ring set for both piston numbers. Not certain on the ring set you posted (13011-PHM-004), however, found a supplier for OEM 13021-PHM-004. SAYS THEY SHOULD FIT BOTH PISTON NUMBERS.

Registered
Based on my quick research WITHOUT parts list, past mechanical knowledge of the insight pistons or rings etc., I found that the numbers you posted are for the pistons (like you mentioned) and it looks like the part number for the rings is Ring Set, Piston (Over Size) (0.25) - Honda (13021-PHM-004).

oddly enough the two different piston numbers show the same ring set for both piston numbers. Not certain on the ring set you posted (13011-PHM-004), however, found a supplier for OEM 13021-PHM-004. SAYS THEY SHOULD FIT BOTH PISTON NUMBERS.
Hi - where did you find a supplier? im looking for options as I have two of the first gens thanks

Registered
Hello,
I am trying to keep my beloved 2006 Honda Insight going. She developed piston slap a few months ago, so I'm undertaking an engine rebuild. Upon inspection, the cylinders still look beautiful, but the pistons are a little loose and showing some slight wear. So looks like an easy fix, but then I find the standard size piston rings (13011-PHM-004) are discontinued, and I can't find any other source. So a few questions to experts out there.
1) Anyone with a clever source for these standard size piston rings?
2) The parts list gives two different codes for the standard pistons (13010-PHM-010 and 13010-PHM-A50). Is there any relevant difference between these?
3) Is my only option (assuming the standard sizes ones are all gone) to buy oversized pistons and rings and have them machined down?

Thanks.
-Josh
Hi Josh - just went through one of my engines - make sure you find all 4 oil ports that feed the oil rings at the underside of the pistons and clean them out along with at least freeing up the oil rings, this is one of the reasons why your pistons are so scuffed on the side of the block closest to the firewall...

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
Google search:

Honda INSIGHT piston rings OEM CONICELLI HONDA. All three part numbers I listed show available on by online ordering. One piston set is for the CVT and other is for the manual but ring set shows it works with both pistons. Have not verified availability BUT shows available. Or call CONICELLI HONDA parts department....in PENNSYLVANIA. Let us all know what you find out for availability and correct part numbers for pistons for CVT/Manual and ring set!! Chris 馃憤馃挭馃榿馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
Thanx Coasting but im afraid they are at the same mercy as the other two places that are still advertising availability (unless the other two places corrected their site and do not list anymore due to me complaining that I already was counting on them and had my engine tore down)

anyways --- all three of these OEM sites still have to rely on honda for the OEM parts, and the excuse I got from both of the other sites was they were sorry for misleading me but it's not their fault as honda still has the parts listed as "available" ------- yet when they went to order from them they got "access denied"

I seen the Conicelli site you went to and am betting it's the same situation ----- if someone ever finds out different YEAH LET ME KNOW!!! I will buy and stockpile a bunch...

One way or another I will not let these cars die... they are too unique and cool but yeah im also very glad im a mechanic and now a battery tech. lol

Registered
Hi everybody - long time (non-participating) reader here on IC. You all have a great community here and the knowledge shared on the ZE1 platform has been invaluable. Recently got around to registering, and thought I would weigh in on this topic.

I'll spare you the details of my other Honda restoration projects, however I have had very good luck sourcing parts from Amayama, a parts supplier in Japan, whom I have yet to see mentioned on here. There have been multiple parts (gaskets, hoses, etc.) that show as NLA/discontinued here in the US that I have been able to secure from their warehouses. Likewise a few items I can get from Majestic are NLA through Amayama. Odd how it works.

You place your order online, they process, and only once they confirm inventory do you pay. I'm on my 4th order from them now. Shipping is more, however I find them 15-20% cheaper on a per-unit basis. Their packaging is excellent and Japan Post normally delivers through USPS.

To the OP above, and to build on what Chris wrote, 13011-PHM-004 for the standard G1 piston ring set shows as available for $35 per cylinder. Whether truly available or not would remain to be seen, however a no-risk chance to check it out. Even new EGR spacers 17145-PHM-000 show as available for $75!

I am not affiliated with them in any way, and do not materially benefit from writing this, however they've really come through for me a few times on my other Hondas and are worth a chance for NLA items to keep the beloved ZE1s on the road :)

Registered
@first gen insight guy great catch! Only Del Sol folks pick up on that one!

I acquired a low-mile '97 Si 5MT a few years back after spending a significant amount of time trying to find a nice example of the facelifted 96/97 as that was my preference. Patience eventually paid off. I've always loved targa designs in general and that of the Del Sol specifically. As you said, they are really, really fun little cars (only about 2" longer than a G1, in fact) and are a unique and quirky part of Honda's history in their own way. I always smile when I drive it. Did you happen to have a Samba-colored '93? One of Honda's great colors.

A fair bit of age-related deferred maintenance (mostly rubber components, being 20+ years old) led me on a quest for OEM parts. This is how I came to find Amayama, as there were a number of P/S and intake breather hoses that are NLA here that they supplied from Honda Japan. Hopefully other IC members have the same luck with finding parts for their G1s as I have for the Sol.

Registered
Boy yeah You guessed right --- Samba green and I did up all that side/top trim along with a B-16 rear foil all in black,,, the car was bad *** looking... also had the factory (off of a salvage that went belly side up) B-16 handling package front and rear sway bars and front upper shock tower bracing and lower sub frame brace... 205/40/17's handled like it was on rails...

Registered
Sounds like you had a nice one! Samba is the way to go and the factory wing is a nice addition. Its interesting you mention the VTEC suspension package, as I spent all of last weekend doing something similar and transplanting a full suspension from a '97 Spec Integra Type R into mine. The handling is incredible, completely transforms the car. Confident and firm while being compliant and comfortable on the street, its by far the best upgrade I've done.

Registered
Ok we better stop - your making me miss mine lol I try to rap out the G-1 just to be able to get ahead and "roll some diesel repellent" on the big rigs like I used to in the old del-sol, it generally ends up with me hitting the recirc. button before I catch a lung full lol not good --- thinking about supercharging it lol

sounds like your dialing it in and it's getting very sweet --- great to hear someone who enjoys them, I lucked out and sold mine to a great guy who was all wide eyed like I was when i first got it - I had a decade with it - hopped it up and rebuilt it and had a blast... time to let someone else enjoy it as unless I parked it for years it was not new to me anymore - such is life ---- kudos and good luck with all the mods :)

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
Josh,

Back on topic with this thread馃槀. I replied to your PM and OEM ring set WILL be in my hands as early as Tuesday of next week. Verified availability this morning so have my fingers crossed for us!! 馃. PM me your address and I will priority mail them to you when I get them. Chris 馃憤馃榿馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
Piston ring set arrived today. They are the oversized rings....the only ones still available. One set is for ONE piston. Took 8 days from online ordering to arrival.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Coasties. I'd appreciate if you mailed the ring to me and I'll reimburse you.

Thanks also to oftheSun97, I tried Amayama. They were optimistic at first and had me place the order, but they eventually had cancel it. The parts aren't in their warehouse. While ordering all the parts, I foun that not only is the standard piston ring, 13011-PHM-004 , discontinued. The oversized rings, 13021-PHM-004 , and the piston itself, 13010-PHM-A50 , are also on backorder indefinitely. I've poked around on a Japanese site called Rakuten where some of these parts seems to exist, but they don't allow US accounts and my experience so far is lots of sites say they have the parts until you order. So I'm pretty stuck. I hate to do it, but I might have to scrap the car now.

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
JOSH,. Glad to help! I mailed off yesterday and PM'D you the tracking number!馃憤. I am sure you could get 2 more sets of oversized rings but would have to look again for the pistons or call them on MONDAY. ANY thoughts on doing an engine swap?

Registered
One thing that has always bugged me is that the Insight communities in the US, UK, and Japan are so isolated from each other. With translation software everywhere, why can't we just go onto the Japanese Insight forum site (whatever it is) and then email some dude in Japan and ask him to help find stuff??? International shipping is not very expensive, it's the tracking down of stuff overseas that's a PITA.

Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
Looks like CONICELLI can get the pistons. $202 for all three plus shipping. Figure another $90-95 total for two more oversized ring sets with shipping. I did prove we could get the oversized ring set but would have to place an online order to start the process to see if they can deliver on the pistons. We had good luck getting the piston set that folks thought we could not so maybe they can somehow get you the pistons too. You would have $350 wrapped up in the pistons and piston ring sets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts