Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Insight, which I purchased in May of 2009. One of the early adopters. Living in Florida, you need to have the A/C on all the time, so my mileage has run from 35 to a high of 43 mpg on long highway trips. Or so I thought. I have recently begun to do the actual calculations, checking fuel purchased against actual miles driven and I have found that the automobile's computer overestimates the mileage by about 10%. Has anybody else found this? Is there anyway to re-calibrate the system, so that the calculations are correct?

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I have a 2010 Insight, which I purchased in May of 2009. One of the early adopters. Living in Florida, you need to have the A/C on all the time, so my mileage has run from 35 to a high of 43 mpg on long highway trips. Or so I thought. I have recently begun to do the actual calculations, checking fuel purchased against actual miles driven and I have found that the automobile's computer overestimates the mileage by about 10%. Has anybody else found this? Is there anyway to re-calibrate the system, so that the calculations are correct?
My Gen I Insight is typically within about 2% over the last two years.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The MID is just an est. one must do the actual calculations to determine actual mileage. That is true of vehicles with this feature.

i suggest you keep better track of tire pressures if you are not already. Go ahead raise them up to the limits on the sidewall. (that may be too high for comfort) I run ours at about 38 (I think 33 is the spec) Remember, check pressure with the tires cold. It's best to have your own compressor at home.

My menopausal wife drives our Insight and tends to keep her A/C maxed out out always. She still gets at least 38 MPG. I can't remember what her lifetime MID shows.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The MID is about ~1-2 mpg off usually, just calculate it yourself or enter it into fuelly for your own record.

The lowest I've got so far was 36mpg with AC on and city driving, live in central cali which is still really hot. Usually, I average around 41-45 mpg.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've put about 9.5k miles on my UK 2010 Insight ES since August last year. MID shows 50.3 mpgUK average. Calculated from fill-ups is 47.0 mpgUK.

My fuel economy appears to have improved slightly after my last oil change two months ago (which used Mobil 0w20). I suspect the supplying dealer (a Toyota main agent) may have used 5w30 for the service they carried out prior to sale, resulting in a slight hit to mpg especially for shorter journeys over the winter.

For info, most of my journeys are in a hilly area and I run the tyres at Honda's recommended pressure. When I bought the car the trip B computer was showing 52 mpgUK average from the last 6k miles from previous owner (who lived in a much flatter area than me).

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know my MID is about 2 to 2.5 mpg gallon off until I hit about 50 to 55 mpg then the higher I go the worse the system tells me. My best tank of 61.2, the MID was showing nearly 66. At the time i thought that I was possibly the normal 2 or so off then I got upset. Last tank was showing 58 and some change when I filled up and it calculated to about 54. I guess I've learned to deal with it. I live in NC and summers can get hot here as well but I guess I've just gotten so upset with gas I leave the A/C off, roll the windows down and take side roads that are about 25-35MPH with no traffic so it works out, fuel mileage, relaxing (sometimes boring) driving. Not sure if your work route will be able to accomodate that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Larger numerical discrepancies at higher fuel efficiency is hardly surprising. You would find the discrepancy doesn't change as much if the car reported gallons per mile. It's all in the maths.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
The discrepancy is normal in any vehicle that has a MPG device in it but its frustrating. my MID is reading 59.7 at 200 miles right now and I know the fuel gauge is wrong reading that I am down only 1/4 tank and I am probably really getting about 56-57. But I know the difference and its really just a challenge at this point to get it to read over 60 on a tank of gas, only had it once before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mpg

I have tracked all my fuel fill-ups and mileage on an Excel spreadsheet since I bought my car, and have noticed about an 8% discrepancy. To achieve 50 MPG, the car has to show about 54 MPG.

·
Registered
59 Posts
with a little under 2,000 miles on the car and i am noticing about 3 to 5 mpg difference from what the readout to hand cal. per tank.
i can not complain to much i been in the mid 40s but i hope to bet hight to low 50s once it is broken in:D
plan to which to amsoil or royal purple 0w-20 and new CVT-F once it hits 5,000
just to clean anythings that might be floating around in there

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
with a little under 2,000 miles on the car and i am noticing about 3 to 5 mpg difference from what the readout to hand cal. per tank.
i can not complain to much i been in the mid 40s but i hope to bet hight to low 50s once it is broken in:D
plan to which to amsoil or royal purple 0w-20 and new CVT-F once it hits 5,000
just to clean anythings that might be floating around in there
Myth, good ol' boy thinking. Just change the oil when the readout says 10%. There is nothing to be gained by changing early. In fact Honda puts in a special oil for break in they do not want you to dump early. Any 0w020 is fine as well. Don't believe the hype.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's been tested and seems to be packed with polymers that coat everything permanently. Do you really think a Honda engine, built in a Japanese factory, would have anything floating around in there? Remember, everything your dad taught you about cars is false. Many things people used to believe, or even used to be true are just not true or are not anymore. It probably is still true that an early oil change might benefit a rebuilt racing engine. But for the rest of us, it's not 1950 anymore. Just drive it and do the scheduled maintenance. There is only one exception to this, change the trans fluid (using only Honda fluid) at the second oil change. (16-20k) Repeat at similar intervals. The MID will set a code for the change at the third oil change interval. All Honda automatics (not just CVTs) have benefited from this forever. Honda mechanics change theirs every other oil change. If you are dyi, there are threads here about doing it. Easier than changing the oil.

My daughter is currently driving her moms old Honda van. It has 230k on it, never had oil changes closer apart than 7k and still barely looses a 1/4 qt between them. Relax, it's a Honda.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To answer your question yes, when i work as a ASE tech for honda in florida, i knew nothing of special break-in oil but they do add additive to the oil to help
And yes, even on my Civic SI i changed my oil and filter after 3000 miles and took apart
The filter to see if any particulates were in there, i was a surprised on what i saw so yes i will continue to due the first oil change at 3000 mile no matter how good the engine are
And yes honda do made very good engine if you take care of them

At 3000 miles, i will post some pic of the filter and you can be the judge right now i am at 1200 mile so i will bit to go:D:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So at first it was 5000 miles and now you want to do it at 3000? Sorry about the snarky comment, but this is not a Civic board, but one dedicated to frugal folks trying to use less. Dumping perfectly good lubricant is not saving anything. Not the planet, not money or your engine. You may believe it does, but that has nothing to do with science. No matter what you think, you are not smarter about this than the computer Honda put in this thing.

By the way, my experience, and that of several others around here is that these things are not "broken in" until the other side of 10k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So at first it was 5000 miles and now you want to do it at 3000? Sorry about the snarky comment, but this is not a Civic board, but one dedicated to frugal folks trying to use less. Dumping perfectly good lubricant is not saving anything. Not the planet, not money or your engine. You may believe it does, but that has nothing to do with science. No matter what you think, you are not smarter about this than the computer Honda put in this thing.

By the way, my experience, and that of several others around here is that these things are not "broken in" until the other side of 10k.
does not matter to me when i change it 3,000 or 5,000 miles the weather is still to cold for me so i am not stressing it:p

that is what was told to me what i posted " if anyone installed an oil catch can on their SI" there and their response was just like yours if HONDA thought it needed it they would have put in on it. well i install it anyway and guess what every oil change running only synthetic it had 1 to 2 oz i guess that was acceptable for Honda but i believe a clean is an efficient engine. so when it come down to not about to WHO is smarter like you said but about where your limits are. honda has to deal with people who all they know about car is how to put gas in much less how to check oil level.

oh yes, if if they engine compartment was not that compact i would install and oil catch can in the insight too
i am not a fan of any type of oil vapor on the intake valve cause gunk build up
just ask the people with DI engine
the only thing that might take 10,000 miles to break in is a diesel engines
you can still see the crosscut on some of the of the engine when they blow the head gasket 100,000 miles (cummins)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts