Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
AFAK the navigation unit is not a plug and play option. The vehicles that include nav have a completely different wiring harness. It is possible to get the plastic surround piece that the nav unit fits into though. It is a standard double din size. There are several aftermarket units that are frankly better. A decent one will still cost a grand probably (especially with the bluetooth module and a steering wheel control interface) But I bet those units include traffic and sat radio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my Insight is the base model (2011) which has a factory single din with pocket… can I reuse the "dash" piece and just plop in a new single or double din radio with buying a new dash bracket item?

the stock unit is actually fine for me sound wise, I'm just looking for an easy solution with built-in blutooth so I can stream audio from my phone :)

thanks

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Sounds like yours had an aftermarket radio. In that case you can reuse it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It looks like Honda uses the double din surround that comes with the NAV equipped EXs. It's very likely that you can use the existing bracket to mount an aftermarket unit. But you will have to be the guinea pig and try it. There just are not very many plain base models around. Be sure to take pictures and report what you find.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I agree.

That looks nothing like the radio that came in my car. Mines took up the whole opening, had a big wheel for controlling the volume and a slot for cds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually hate the aftermarket kits because the look of the trim is off, so I am planning to order the trim and bracket from Honda to use on my install. I will post pics of anything interesting about the install.

Also, I talked to a parts guy at honda and he said the Nav trim and bracket should work because the nav unit is just a double din, and a couple of guys had done a similar thing to their civic because the aftermarket kit was crap and warped with the sun.

Update: I got the parts and finished the install. Check it out here: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/21807-anyone-know-where-i-can-find-glosss-dash-kit-2.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to the OP I had no difficulty at all taking the radio out in order to install a Parrot bluetooth kit - as others have said the hardest part was to remove that piece where the power socket is.

I also found I could get my hand in behind the radio just by folding down the glove box rather than removing it entirely.

Also, the instructions are exactly right for the RHD version of the car!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks to the OP I had no difficulty at all taking the radio out in order to install a Parrot bluetooth kit - as others have said the hardest part was to remove that piece where the power socket is.

I also found I could get my hand in behind the radio just by folding down the glove box rather than removing it entirely.

Also, the instructions are exactly right for the RHD version of the car!
Installed my MKI9200 today, couldn't take out that part, but I have mange to install without remove it.
By remove glove box, just enough space for me to connect looms and find a place for the bluebox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I managed to snake my hand through the glovebox opening and attach my male/female harness inline with the radio harness/stock radio.

I tried pulling the cubby below with visegrips/rag, but it kept slipping and it also was behind the plastic.

The radio works fine, but now it won't illuminate at night.

I will have to check the wires again, when it stops raining.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 2012 Base Insight (single din radio). The Metra 70-1729 doesn't seem to fit correctly for that harness. Is there anything different I should do, or does it use a different harness?

·
Registered
8 Posts
removing plastic around lighter

After looking at the pics supplied earlier in post I was able to locate and release the upper clips with butter knife. Then I pryed with small staple remover and butter knife and pull the piece off. Also to remove the glove box arm (near passenger door) you need to press in on plastic release with small screw driver.
After removing 8 mm bolt- my single din radio and lower drawer below it slid right out.

Thanks so much for the instructions and pics. I have ordered antenna adapter, wiring harness and 6 1/2 speakers for rear doors. From cruchfield. Hope everything fits

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Yes, that storage compartment is a trick to remove. I like to think of it as grabbing a bone from a dogs mouth. I removed mines the other day to install a cb radio. Here are a few photos to get an idea of the clip locations. :evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. Did enyone replace a original internavi radio? Have it imported from japan. Im based in Ireland but i wanna swap it for a aftermarket one becouse original one is just in japanese

Do i need instalment kit if I have 2din at the moment?

2011 insight EX

Thanks
Peter

21 - 40 of 43 Posts