Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was just a matter of time before the right side mirror on our 2010 got whacked. We live on a narrow street, we have a narrow driveway and there's a utility pole right next to the entrance to the driveway. While backing in the other day, my wife clipped the pole and broke the right side mirror.

After inspecting the damage, I decide to replace the mirror myself and wanted to share the experience. As with any DIY, do not attempt this repair if you don't have the necessary tools or skills. If you try this procedure and break something, well ... you were warned and I assume no responsibility.

Some of the interior panels are held in place with screws and pop-style connectors. The pop-style connectors are easiest to remove in warm weather. In cold weather, they tend to break so you may want to order a few replacements to have on hand, just in case. It was over 90 degrees F when I did my repair and all of the connectors came free without breaking.

Time Required: 20 - 30 minutes.

Tools Required:
Phillips head screw driver
KTC trim removal tools (highly recommended) or a large flat blade screw driver with the tip wrapped with electrical tape
Small straight blade screw driver
A small dentist's-style pick can be handy, too.
Pliers (optional)
Wire cutters (optional)

I ordered a replacement mirror assembly from Majestic Honda - about $230 for a new unit.

Procedure

1 - My broken mirror assembly was hanging by the wire bundle that feeds the adjustment motor, the turn indictor and mirror heater. I tried to secure the broken mirror with various types of tape, but was worried that it would come loose and scratch the paint on the door. Since the mirror assembly was in pieces, I was able to access and cut each of the wires individually. I removed the outside assembly and then wrapped the wire with tape so I could drive the car while waiting for the new mirror to arrive.

2 - Carefully pry and remove the interior black cover located directly behind the mirror assembly. This cover is held in with one plastic pop-style connector.

2RemoveSmallPlasticCover | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3 - Carefully pry loose the dust cover that covers the screw by the armrest. It's just laying in place. The dentist's-style pick works well for this purpose.

3RemoveArmRestScrewCover | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

4 - Remove the Phillips head screw from the armrest area.

4RemoveArmRestScrew | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

5 - Using the small straight blade screw driver, remove the cover behind the door latch release by loosing the tab at the top.

5RemoveDoorPullScrewCover | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

6 - Remove the two Phillips head screws from behind the door latch release.

6RemoveDoorPullScrews | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7 - Carefully pry loose the door panel using the KTC tools or a large straight blade screw driver wrapped in electrical tape. Work around the edge of the door and take your time. You should each a pop as each of the connectors comes loose.

7RemoveDoorPanel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

8 - Carefully lift the door panel away from the door just a few inches. The last part of the panel that attaches to the door is the edge near the window. Remember the panel is still attached to the door latch release mechanism and cables. I was able to rest the door panel on a tool box positioned underneath the door. You only need to move the panel enough to access the three nuts that hold the mirror assembly in place and the electrical connector.

8RestDoorPanel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

9 - Disconnect the electrical connector by pressing the release tab and pulling apart.

9DisconnectMirrorWireConnector | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10 - Pull the electrical wire support out of the door using a KTC tool or a pair of pliers. In this photo I've already released the wire from the support.

10PullMirrorWireSupport | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

11 - Remove the three 10mm nuts that hold the mirror assembly in place while supporting the assembly from the outside of the door.

11RemoveMirrorAssyNuts | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

12 - Remove the mirror assembly, threading the wires though the hole as you go.

12.0RemoveMirrorAssy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is the old mirror assembly (in pieces) next to the new assembly.

13 - Thread the wires from the new assembly through the door.

13TheadWiresForNewMirrorAssy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

14 - While supporting the assembly from the outside of the door, seat the front edge first. There's a small clip that needs to seat before you install the three 10mm nuts. Then insert the wire support into the door and plug in the electrical connector.

14InstallMirrorAssyNutsWires | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

15 - Ensure that all of the red pop-style fasteners are attached to the door panel. Sometimes they break off when you remove the door panel and remain attached to the door. Any broken fasteners should be replaced or you could end up with an annoying rattle.

15InspectandInstallDoorPanel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

16 - Seat the top of the door panel (next to the window) first, then carefully work your way around the door panel. You should hear each fastener pop back into place as you push on the panel.

17 - Install the black cover behind the mirror assembly. It should just snap back into place.

18 - Test the mirror adjustment motor and the turn indicator.

If everything works, you're done!

Hopefully you'll never have to do this repair, but if you do ...

John

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the detailed illustration! I'd have thought that the folding mechanism would save the mirrors. Mine has bumped into pillars front on many times and while the paint is scratched, the mirror is ok due to the folding

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you found it helpful.

I agree that when the side mirrors run into something while the car is going forward, the mirrors fold backward. In our case, my wife was backing up and the utility pole she ran into tried to fold the mirror forward.

John

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
It's amazeing how fast them telephone poles grow!

Willie

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad you found it helpful.

I agree that when the side mirrors run into something while the car is going forward, the mirrors fold backward. In our case, my wife was backing up and the utility pole she ran into tried to fold the mirror forward.

John
My mirrors can fold forwards too, there's more resistance though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the detailed steps. I just had a similar accident in which I was backing up and had my mirror hit the right side of the garage. It is still in tact and works (I can adjust it using power controls), but it is slightly loose and mis-aligned. Incidentally, my wife did the same with her camry a few weeks back on the leftside, and as luck would have it, someone broke the rightside mirror completely when it was parked somewhere, so replaced both mirrors for $30/piece from ebay and it was very simple. However, no such luck of finding cheap mirrors for insight on ebay. Since the replacements come in black, to save the cost of getting them painted, I would like to replace both and leave them black. Anybody knows a cheap source for the mirrors or know if mirrors for another car model work with insight?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ouch. Glad you got that fixed. Ive beat my mirrors up too and swear they will fold forwards as well as backwards.

Mines have taken a beaten from bugs and Il like to replace them for car shows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks

I have just used your detailed instructions to replace my wing mirror. job done in about 30 minutes thanks to you.

many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great instructions - thank you. Helped an absolutely useless with tools person like me get it done. My mirror was broken by another vehicle which must have pushed it forward - i ordered a non honda replacement that came in black and was able to disassemble and use my blue mirror housing. The trick is to pop the glass of the mirror out, then all the screws become visible.

The one bit I would strengthen in the instructions - Pop the door panel all around sides and bottom (not top) and then lift it up gently off the window ledge. It may be easier with window lowered. When refitting lower the door panel very gently into place and get the window ledge to fit properly before popping in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the great tutorial. I actually replaced my passenger mirror yesterday using your instructions. Very helpfull!

One question though, I noticed that when folding in the side mirrors, the passenger one is finished earlier. I don't know anymore, if that was the case with my old passenger mirror...

So, is this normal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome directions

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Took less than an hour to get the whole job done. Got an estimate from a collision place at $450. Purchased the part on line for $49.

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
$401/hr is not bad pay at all!

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Helpful

Thanks to these very detailed directions I was able to replace my passenger mirror in about an hour. I got the mirror from 1aAuto.com for about $60 including shipping.
Just an FYI I'd strongly suggest getting spare door panel retainers before you attempt this repair. The retainers are very fragile and are not very forgiving. I was able to get some from my local dealership. They weren't the exact ones but they did have an alternative that worked well. Be sure to get the retainer for a 9mm hole. The ones I got were white. The door covers them so the color doesn't really matter. I think there was a total of 8 on the panel, but I broke 2 in the process of removing the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.
I didn't see where I should introduce myself, So i'll post here. Just bought a 2010 insight. Not sure how to use all the dash and steering wheels controls navigation etc. So I look around here and do some reading.
Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hi all.
I didn't see where I should introduce myself, So i'll post here. Just bought a 2010 insight. Not sure how to use all the dash and steering wheels controls navigation etc. So I look around here and do some reading.
Thanks for having me.
Do put your location in your profile. Insights were sold all over the world, but were configured differently depending on the country they were originally sold in.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Hi all.
Thanks for having me.
Welcome to IC.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts