Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I'm not sure, only that my wife said that the dash is telling her that both the transmission fluid and oil are up for change. I can do the oil, no prob, but wondered if the transmission fluid was more complicated than that. I may check out the $10 option, thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It does look pretty straight forward to change the CVTF. It's always good to have the info you need in front of you to know what you are getting into. How many miles are on your Insight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Kjan -- it's got around 25K I believe. The tricky thing is that we're only about a year into a 36k 3 year lease...ack. Love the car though.

Thanks for that feedback. :)

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
The transmission fluid change is easier than the engine oil change, mainly because you remove only a small cover held on by 4 screws to get at the drain port - rather than the whole belly pan like for the engine oil change - and you don't need to change the filter (though you can if you want). The manual says it will need 3 quarts for a drain/refill. I found it needed a bit over 3, so I suggest having 4 quarts on hand. Remember to have a new washer on hand also. It is not the same size as the engine oil drain plug washer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume I need to get the genuine Honda CVT fluid yes?

BTW, I looked into the oil change today, I was hopeful that I could use my Pela vacuum oil sucker and avoid removing the belly pan, but alas there appears to be no clear path to remove the oil filter except from underneath.

I looked at the console, this is the "A123" service.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
The cvt fluid is easy. Just remove the 4 screws, insert 3/8 rachett head into bolt, then catch oil that runs out and wipe off thedrain plug before installing. Then add 3 1/2 qts of honda cvt fluid.

The engine oil I just remove thebelly pan with thecar on ramps. I ordered a grab bag of those plastic push pins from ebay fora few bucks as you are goingto break a few of them. Then you gota few screws and speed clips to undo. Make sure when you are buttoning everything up you line up all the holes including the onesin the metal parts for the puch pin to anchor everything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
... Remember to have a new washer on hand also. It is not the same size as the engine oil drain plug washer.
I haven't thought of this part and I assumed it would be the same size as for the engine oil drain plug...

So, what's the size of the washer for the CVTF drain plug?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I'm not sure of the size, but I bought some Honda/Acura automatic transmission plug crush washers from eBay, and they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
After a bit of research, I've found that the size of the washer for the CVTF drain plug is 18MM. The part number is 90471-PX4-000

And yes, it has different size than the engine oil drain plug washer, which is 14mm. The part number is 94109-14000

·
Registered
16 Posts
maintenance schedule for the transmission fluid

that is the maintenance schedule for the transmission fluid for replacement?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but my Honda dealer told me A123 is the following:

- Oil/filter Change
- Transmission fluid change (NOT flush)
- Air filter change
- Tire Rotation

I am not bothering with the tire rotation as the crap Dunlops it came with are down to the wear bars at 33k miles of almost all highway driving. (they have been rotated, all 4 are that low)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Any 14 or 18mm metal crush washer should work. It doesn't have to be Honda.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
The "crush washers" are aluminum.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
69 Posts
cvt fluid change

Just did mine today and it's easier than the oil. A lot of smouge on the magnet tho. I'm going to get a tranny oil filter and replace it in the next month because the smouge worries me. Only had 18k miles on the fluid and the color was starting to darken. Tools needed philips screwdriver, 3/8's breaker bar, catch pan, 3 qts honda fluid. I drove the car on ramps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did mine today and it's easier than the oil. A lot of smouge on the magnet tho. I'm going to get a tranny oil filter and replace it in the next month because the smouge worries me. Only had 18k miles on the fluid and the color was starting to darken. Tools needed philips screwdriver, 3/8's breaker bar, catch pan, 3 qts honda fluid. I drove the car on ramps.
+1 there Freddy. Except I used jacks. I am going to do the filter every other tranny fill. Of course while I was buying the tranny fluid at the dealer I asked about the filter. He looked at me like I was full of **** and said it didn't have one. When I got the belly pan off to do the oil change the tranny filter was stairing me smack in the face. Just tell them what you want to buy and leave. Most of the parts people haven't been under the hood and if it doesn't jump off the screen at them then it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
84 Posts
* * * Opps - moderator please delete * * *Thanks * * *

Just yesterday, in preparation to service my cvt, a honda parts rep told me there is not a tranny filter - just a screen. He cautioned me against doing a flush. He said he cvt tranny service is just a drain and fill.
However, I've seen pictures of tranny filters on this site - just need to find them again.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts