Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
This is a gen 2 conversation. We have an inline filter to the cooler in the radiator that several have changed. If you check the manual it appears we have a tradational filter element like most automatics. Someone took apart the inline filter to the cooler and it was a wire mesh cone shape filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The cvt fluid is easy. Just remove the 4 screws, insert 3/8 rachett head into bolt, then catch oil that runs out and wipe off thedrain plug before installing. Then add 3 1/2 qts of honda cvt fluid.
Complete novice question...where does one add the CVT fluid back in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahh...I see. That looks like it will be fun :). I'm using the auto hobby shop on the Air Force base where I work. Never been there before but supposedly they have all kinds of equipment there you can use. It's $7 an hour to rent a lift bay, so I figured you can't beat that....hope they have a long funnel because I certainly don't have one that will reach down there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a gen 2 conversation. We have an inline filter to the cooler in the radiator that several have changed. If you check the manual it appears we have a tradational filter element like most automatics. Someone took apart the inline filter to the cooler and it was a wire mesh cone shape filter.
So no filter on the gen 2 cvt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahh...I see. That looks like it will be fun :). I'm using the auto hobby shop on the Air Force base where I work. Never been there before but supposedly they have all kinds of equipment there you can use. It's $7 an hour to rent a lift bay, so I figured you can't beat that....hope they have a long funnel because I certainly don't have one that will reach down there.
Turned out to be a breeze. The shop had a funnel long enough to reach the transmission fluid dipstick hole. The only real difficulty was the mess. The transmission drain is off to the side of the car and point sideways. So when you removed the drain plug, the stream of transmission fluid that came out had enough lateral velocity that it hit the rail of the lift before it made it to the oil catch. I could see that was coming, and fashioned an aluminum foil "wall" to try to direct it down, but still had a lot of splatter to deal with....

·
Registered
36 Posts
No more bulls**t

Please tell me the part numbers for the 3-items concerning filter changes. Every time I've gone to the dealership they say I'm wrong. Also, what is the CVT fluid Type? Honda has a few now.

1) In-line cooler filter
2) CVT Filter element
3) CVT Cover Gasket

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by no more bullshit. There is no need to replace the pan gasket unless you are removing it to get to the internal filter. This is only for the most obsessive. See this thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/59034-cvt-filter-change-cooler-filter-change.html

Part numbers are listed on the third page of that thread. The small inline filter that connects to hoses going to the cooler under the radiator also has it's part number in there.

To just change the fluid one would need the crush washer, it's part number is listed in this thread.

There is also another CVT fluid change thread with part numbers in it in the Modifications and Technical discussions section:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/19301-cvt-fluid-filter-change.html

I don't think it matters much about the fluid as long as it is genuine Honda CVT fluid. The labels have changed, maybe the formula, but around here we recommend changing it every other or every second oil change so the fluid is not going to be in there that long anyway. Honda may have developed a new fluid to better match the longer change intervals the MID calls for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know of a good free writeup or video on replacing one or both of the CVT filters?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep!

I just ordered my fluid and filters...looking forward to seeing if this will help the starting jerk.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tranny oil change

Is this a difficult DIY? The "nag" light is going on... :rolleyes:
Hi,changed the CVT oil in 20 minutes,my 13 yr old could do it,easy least,used a sealey vacuum pump to take out most of oil,put an old paint bucket with plastic lining under car,released oil,cleaned magnetic part,replaced crush washer,tightened it up,used a funnel with a long neck to add 3 and one third litres of CVT fluid,job done,,,,,,,drove,checked level,all good,p. S. Used ramps,and extension

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep!

I just ordered my fluid and filters...looking forward to seeing if this will help the starting jerk.
Did you order the fluid from an online seller? My dealership parts department are idiots. I need to find somewhere else to get it. The first change I did, no problem. The next change came and I went to get the fluid. Didn't have any. The guy starts poking around in the computer. "You bought the last we had the last time you got it." Really, you don't restock? NOBODY else has an Insight from this dealership? "We can get it in for you. It'll take a couple days." 19 days later it finally arrives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First girly DIY -- thank you InsightCentral.net!

Somehow of all the car buffs around me (some even pushy "I know best, trust me") no one ever mentioned to me that transmission fluid is as important (though in slightly less frequent intervals, but not by much) an oil change on a Honda.

This was my first DIY, I figured it an easier place to start vs even an oil change. (And afterwards, I concur.)

I'm not necessarily offering any new information in this thread, except to thank those who have laid out tutorials, images, listing part numbers and contributing to the general consensus so that I have a place to start learning. This is My First Lil' DIY. And surgery was a success.

SOME BRIEF SERVICE HISTORY: 2010 Honda Insight; 2nd owner; first owner well documented service history but from what I recall mostly just oil change. Bought at ~75K. Unaware of the frequency of trans fluid maintenance until recently, I noticed slight performance issues at ~110k.

Yes, I know. Please don't shame me for ignorance. I am learning now.

Despite some controversy surrounding the trans filter replacement. I am inclined to do it soon, but after a few more rounds of fluid drain/replace (why change the filter now when it's still half dirty)?

Which almost lends me to ask a novice question to the pros out there. Aside from a new filter, would it be "near equivalent" to a *flush* if I rapidly cycled drain/refills? Like every oil change for a year? It would still be more cost effective; but I admit ignorance.

Copy/pasted from my Fb "cheer":

"YAY! My First Lil' DIY. I did it all by myself. Well, almost. I did call on my neighbor when I needed assistance with my girly torque. The forum consensus wasn't kidding when they warned that drain plug is on there really tight. Even my brawny assistant needed some extra push (making me feel a little less bad about it) so we used one of my 5 lb dumbbells.
The fluid wasn't too bad, but definitely fairly dirty, but the magnet on the plug was covered pretty bad. I had no idea that a transmission fluid drain & refill was so easy on my car. Actually easier than an oil change. This is great news for me, who drives to earn a living, especially because of the shops' markup on the "oh so special" CVT fluid. An easy find on Amazon.com, believe it or not, and yes it's Honda Genuine."

Avery specific tutorial on YouTube by NutzAboutBolts, titled "2010-2014 Honda Insight transmission fluid drain and refill" really helped a lot! (This is my first post so I'm not allowed to post links yet; but that's all the info needed to find.)

Thanks again to everyone! :idea:

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Despite some controversy surrounding the trans filter replacement. I am inclined to do it soon, but after a few more rounds of fluid drain/replace (why change the filter now when it's still half dirty)?

Which almost lends me to ask a novice question to the pros out there. Aside from a new filter, would it be "near equivalent" to a *flush* if I rapidly cycled drain/refills? Like every oil change for a year? It would still be more cost effective; but I admit ignorance.
This is a reasonable approach.

You will find the filter changeout a bit more work than the fluid change, but still very doable. Your biggest issue will be removing the hoses from the filter after they have been there for more than 100K miles. Remember that they need to be pushed off the filter tubes - pulling will not work as well. A special tool for removing automotive hoses will be helpful, though not essential. This is the one I have https://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-47900.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpLIS47900&sc_intid=LIS47900&gclid=CjwKCAiA3o7RBRBfEiwAZMtSCdWHYfRd_3Ufxzw6c8jz9TKGgwU2-Mh_jnpGlAWqROlavbdZG3khsxoC3-wQAvD_BwE. Twisting the filter (while holding the hose from twisting) before trying to remove the hoses may also be helpful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the filter change recently (both the cooler line and the main filters), and was disappointed to learn that it didn't have any impact on my jerky starts =(

Still hoping to find a dealer who will give me the non-mandatory software updates, but until then, jerky-jerk.

That said, the operation is pretty easy. It helps that you can drain the pan before taking it off (unlike my old Ford). Be sure to put on a new pan gasket.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts