Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a normal sized racer or mountain bike fit in the back of an Insight without dismantling?
If anyone carries bikes in their insight, please let me know if it's particularly difficult or easy.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
kalmar said:
Would a normal sized racer or mountain bike fit in the back of an Insight without dismantling?
If anyone carries bikes in their insight, please let me know if it's particularly difficult or easy.

Thanks a lot
oops, just did a search and see this has been answered before. sorry!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sure if you squeeze it in real tight like :wink:
No Way No How, well not if you have a passenger

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've fit my mountain bike in the trunk before.
It involves laying down a tarp, removing both wheels and the seat post.
You shouldn't need tools to do that (unless you have a cheap bike :lol: )

·
Registered
59 Posts
I fit my mountain bike in the back all the time. You do need to be careful with the forks as they can scratch the plastic interior that runs below the back side windows.

I'd like to know if anybody has had any luck with a bike rack. Brand and where you bought it would be helpful too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Over the 3.5 years I've had the Insight, I've transported avg. sized bikes in the back with only the front wheel removed many times (perhaps over 100). I've never had any damage to the car or the bike(s). The passenger seat must move forward somewhat, and there's only minor inconvenience for the passenger, unless perhaps they would be over 75" tall. One side of the handlebars goes between the seats.
Inside, the bike is safe from weather, UV rays, bird fallout, insects, vandals, and low overpasses :shock: Also, there's no effect on the Insight's aerodynamics :) .

http://photos11.flickr.com/13479835_fae51d364c.jpg

With 2 bikes in the back, (front wheels only removed), there's more of a challenge, and a bit more discomfort for the passenger.
I've had the recumbent bike in the Insight (with no passenger).
The tandem doesn't fit :( .

HTH

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey, nemystic, what model recumbent? I have a Vanguard, a Haluzak, and a VK2 and I don't think any of them would fit, but you've got me real curious.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My bike seems to fit a little tighter than yours. Here's a picture
I slide and tilt the passenger seat up all the way and end up with the fork or handlebars jabbing me in the shoulder. Maybe it's the fenders.

I've only put my bike in back when I've had to take the car to the dealer for recalls or warranty work.

BTW, I own 2 cars and a truck and only vehicle that I put snow tires on in winter is my bike. 8)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Ethicalpaul,

My recumbent is a SWB "Hurricane", recently modified with a Wilderness Electric 20" front wheel. I've been using it for commuting (45 miles RT) a few days a week.
Putting it into the Insight was a bit of an ordeal, and I probably won't try that again very often. I remember the derailler mast being a bit too close for comfort.
People tell me I have too many bikes (almost enough for a museum), but your recumbent collection is very impressive.
I'm heading a bit off topic, but it would be very interesting to hear more about your recumbents in a PM.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Carrying a bike

I have a rear hanging bike rack that works fine with both our mountain bikes. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Digging up an old thread here. I have a 2000 and wondering about options carrying a bike.

The best would be to throw it in the inside. No big MPG hit and free.

It looks like you guys have done this with the front wheel removed. But, none of the pictures in this thread work anymore.

If anyone has any pics of bikes fitting inside please repost so I can see how you're doing it.

Also.. as far as hitches go.. I have seen a great setup by a member on a different forum who bolted on a hitch to the al bumper to tow a trailer. With additional support welded in.

Is there any good hitches or other rear carriers anyone would recommend for carrying two bikes?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a Seasucker Hornet on my Insight to carry my mountain bike to different trailheads 3 days a week. It would have some minor impact on mileage if you are traveling short distances and greater mileage hits if you haul the bike a long way.

This is the web address to view a CRX using a Hornet:
Seasucker Hornet Bike rack - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

This is the product:
https://www.seasucker.com/shop/hornet/

There is a used one for sale on Amazon Warehouse for $152.

Pricey but I like the look and functionality as well as the small footprint. If you want an Insight photo of the Seasucker Hornet in use I'll post one on Wednesday when I go for my next ride.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
806 Posts
I've fit a mountain bike in my Insight before. Slide and tilt the passenger seat all the way forward, and remove the front wheel on the bike. I don't remember exactly how I made it fit, but after doing that it is possible to get it in there in some orientation or another.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want an Insight photo of the Seasucker Hornet in use I'll post one on Wednesday when I go for my next ride.
Really interesting idea! Thanks for posting! Please post a photo, or explain how you mount your bike on the insight.

Curious exactly what you have found for the best placement for the suction cups...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I managed to fit my bike in over the weekend doing as you guys suggested. Seat post was able to stay up, but would be easier down.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
...Please post a photo, or explain how you mount your bike on the insight.

Curious exactly what you have found for the best placement for the suction cups...
I elect to mount the Seasucker Hornet on the rear window because of easier access when loading and unloading the bike. After wetting the suction cups I mount them about 11 defroster lines up so that the seat rides on the bumper and is not to close to the lower hatch window. (It will vary depending on your handlebars and bike size.)

You then place the safety strap in the rear hatch so the plastic peg will engage against the hatch and close the hatch with the strap as close to center as possible.

You load the handlebars and tighten the ladder straps around the handlebars (make sure the ladder straps are facing the front of the vehicle and the suction pumps are facing towards the outside rather than inside). Then attach the safety strap to the seat tube and/or frame and tighten the buckle.

Double check that the suction cups are fully engaged (if white is visible you need to pump the suction cups more) You can also see the suction level through the rear view mirror which provides another level of security.

The main issue with these is that they are expensive and there is no lock. So someone could undo the straps and take your bike and your Seasucker. I usually place the Seasucker in the hatch (it comes with a small carrying case) when I am riding and reinstall it when I return.

Proedgebiker also sells the Seasucker and offers a 10% discount using code PEBFAN10 which brings the cost down to $157.50 Shipped. Same company sells it on eBay for $165 shipped.

I have used trouble free for over 2 years. You don't want to leave the bike mounted on the car for an extended time without remoistening the suction cups. I left it on for about 4 days once and one of the cups disengaged and left the bike dangling.

The other nice thing with the Seasucker is you can mount it on many vehicles and the bike doesn't need to be taken apart to fit in the hatch while having the smallest footprint and weight of any bike rack.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Be aware of the "Legal Overhang Law". Some states have a limit of the overhang of a load on a vehicle, and may require a red flag or reflectors.
Check with your DMV for clarification.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
83 Posts

Funny I came to this thread to ask about the Sea Sucker and there is a fellow 1st gen owner who uses it, along with photos! Ha! Thank you!

To the OP,
I stuff my 58cm road bike in the hatch with both wheels off. The handlebars eat up some passenger seat space as well because of the size of the bike. Having the seat mounted makes no difference for my bike in this respect. Most smaller bikes will fit but my 58cm is about as large as you can go even with both wheels off.
I bet you could squeeze a 60cm or 62cm road bike frame in with seat post and both wheels off, but the handle bars is what kills me.
Mountain bikes tend to have a tad more compact frames than road bikes, but the handle bars usually stick out even more. The 29er wheels that are becoming so popular as of late do not make the fitment any easier under the hatch.
I am probably going to continue hauling my road bike under the hatch with both wheels off, but when I buy another mountain bike I will likely resort to the Sea Sucker suction cups as Dakine posted above.

For those interested proedgebiker no longer offers that specific coupon mentioned above but there are two others that still work for 10% off the total order: REDDIT10 and PEBHOOKUP
I will definitely look into purchasing a sea sucker hornet. It comes out to $156.60 after the 10% off and free shipping and no tax.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts