Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's say its 35 degrees F - if I had the Honda Insight engine block heater cranked on all night - the next morning I start her up.......would this benefit MPG significantly? or at all? I'm assuming it would aid in getting the engine to normal operating temp quicker thus providing slightly better MPG....right?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The engine block heater only needs to be on for 2 or 3 hours to warm up the engine so use a timer to save electricity.
An engine block heater reduces engine wear because most engine wear occurs in the first few minutes of idling or driving a cold engine.
Fuel consumption will improve in the first 5 or 10 minutes of driving because the engine will be warmer and reach proper operating temperature more quickly compared to not using an engine block heater.
So the longer the drive the less significant the gains in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd say an EBH would help raise FE up to 60-70f. My car takes so danged long to warm up in the mornings even with radiator block (I have an EBH, but rent an apartment... no where to plug in :( )

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
The Benefit is that the some parts of the engine and some fluids in it such as oil are up to temperature by the time you try to start the engine in the morning...

Most people leave the heater plugged in all night... But the benefit only needs the amount of time that it takes to get the engine up to temperature however long that is.

The gains of a warmer engine will improve MPG / FE over that of a cold engine .... how much depends on many other factors.

The block heater only effects some parts ...

Cold Weather also increases Rolling resistance of the tires.... Block heater will not effect this.

Cold Weather also increases aerodynamic drag.... Block heater will not effect this.

Cold Weather decreases the temperature of the fuel... Gasoline combustion is related to the vaporization of gasoline.... The Colder it is the less of the gasoline is vaporized ... thus the less of the energy of the gasoline is available.

Cold Weather is universally bad for all batteries... the lead acid 12V and the NiMH 144V systems... The Insight detects the temperature of the IMA 144V pack and will try to charge it more aggressively until it warms up the IMA 144V NiMH battery Pack.... the additional aggressive regen puts additional load on the ICE ... the additional load means less of the ICE power output is available to move the car.

Cold Weather will increase the friction and losses in the transmission system of either the Standard or the CVT.

Cold Weather means it is more likely that drivers will sit idel waiting for the car to warm up or defrost a wind shield to see out of, thus wasting more fuel...

Cold Weather means the Driver is more likely to ask for more of the Engines heat to heat the cabin... Which will reduce the heat of the Engine ... Several times I have noticed my Insight Engine Temperature gauge go down when using the Cabin Heater Aggressively in very cold weather.

Cold Weather means you are more likely to use the electrical rear defogger in order to see out the back window ... which uses electrical power which the car has to get back by loading the ICE with regen at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
shifty35 said:
(I have an EBH, but rent an apartment... no where to plug in :( )
How much power does the plug pull to run?

How long does it have to run to be effective?

If it is 3 hours and 100 Watts you could put a timer and a 400 Wh battery out there to power it up and have it ready.

The engine blanket that some people have done might also help.

The Hot Air Bypass some people have done might also help.

If you do not have control over the IMA Regen... then make sure to pull down the SoC some on the way home ... If you expect the IMA to do a forced Regen... Best to make the most of that battery power and to make room for the IMA to put the power into the battery.... If you have IMA control, it doesn't matter.... If you have the grid charge it also doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
The Honda EBH takes about 300W. I found that after 2h the temperature doesn't rise very much anymore. After 3h it's certainly leveled out. Total temperature rise is about 40C over ambient.

There is a noticeable benefit, even in the summer, because it still shortens the warmup time and allows auto-idle stop to kick in sooner. But only in below-freezing weather does it seem to save enough gas to pay for the electricity.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Armin said:
The Honda EBH takes about 300W. I found that after 2h the temperature doesn't rise very much anymore. After 3h it's certainly leveled out. Total temperature rise is about 40C over ambient.

There is a noticeable benefit, even in the summer, because it still shortens the warmup time and allows auto-idle stop to kick in sooner. But only in below-freezing weather does it seem to save enough gas to pay for the electricity.
Well 300Watts for3 hour is under 1kWh ... so It should cost less than $0.25 .

1kWh is bit of a big battery for apartment people to lug back and forth.

Might be limited to plug people.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed one myself....not too bad but thread sealer stuff is manadatory or it'll leak.

this thing really warms up the engine nicely!

4 clicks on the temp gauge, warm heater, auto stop, etc.

of course its only been in the hi 30's low 40's in houston...but still, it helps and I think it helps the wear and tear on the motor as well.

I have it on a timer for 2 hours before I leave the house :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts