Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody looked into wether or not the Honda Fit rear springs would fit on an insight? It seems as if this would be the closest match as far as design (low profile suspension to increase interior room and their smallest car sold in the U.S.). The roads where I live are terrible and it seems like the rear end bottoms out on all but the smallest potholes, I am guessing the fit would have a heavier rate spring with possibly a close length. Any help would be appreciated before I go down to the dealer and start crawling around under their cars, Thanks!
E

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you search, you'll learn that there are some foreign-market cars whose springs fit (so to speak) perfectly, and some U.S.-market cars whose springs work with some modification. None of them are Hondas, however.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Another issue to consider is all though another spring may fit the Insight the original car it was designed for probably weighs considerably more and thus, may result in too stiff of a ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Please note that when I said search, I meant search this forum. The info is here. I didn't mean you should go out and look under a whole bunch of cars. The Daewoo springs that fit are also said to improve ride and handling. - Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fit springs

OK so I guess the answer to my question is that that no one has looked into the sizing/rate of the fit springs, I believe the forum spring references all occurred before the fit was on sale in the U.S., I was just looking for a yes or no answer before I look into getting the chevy/daewoo springs that need to be cut down

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, thats along the lines of what I'm looking for, I think I will go crawl around down at the honda dealer, and check out the rears on both the Civic and Fit with my tape and caliper, at least I know the GM there so I will tell him what I'm doing so I don't get kicked off the lot by some sales guy, I guess I would just feel better using a factory honda part if I can,
E

·
Registered
89 Posts
billybass999 said:
i know for sure that civic ep3 shocks and springs will fit in front...ep3 is civic 2001-2005
Are you using these 7th generation Civic parts on your car? If so, are you using OEM or after-market performance versions? Please describe the change in the Insight's handling with these mods. Is it a simple bolt-in, or are some modifications required? Would there be an issue using Insight springs with those Civic struts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes,

Please tell us more about those Civic struts and springs. How do they ride? How do they handle? Are any modifications needed?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chevrolet Aveo Rear Springs work Great

All I had to do was cut off one coil from the bottom. They filt great and really ride well. I bought them from GMpartscheap.com ($38.00 each!!!). Very easy to install (less than 30 minutes)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Billybass999, please answer our (Todd and I)question about the Civic struts being fitted to the Insight. I'm not interested in the springs anyhow, since I already have custom-made springs that are stiffer and lower.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All I had to do was cut off one coil from the bottom. They filt great and really ride well. I bought them from GMpartscheap.com ($38.00 each!!!). Very easy to install (less than 30 minutes)
Moto, ???

What springs are you speeking of here? GM springs? Front or rear? What is the vehicle they are from? How much stiffer, lower, etc are they?

Thanks for your input,
Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts