Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bonnie Lee said:
Bumper/fender self-repair? (I backed into a pole & the body shop wants $1,000 minimum...
Yes, you can even build a house yourself. It all depends on what tools and experience you have.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bonnie Lee said:
Bumper/fender self-repair? (I backed into a pole & the body shop wants $1,000 minimum...
Self repair is NOT a bad option but if you're not up to it, do shop around.

Fred

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The outer back bumper is plastic. Is it dented or just scratched? It wount rust in any case. A body shop would likely replace the plastic piece if it is damaged and then repaint it. The problem with trying to repair the plastic is that polymer resins, used to repair metal panels, will not adhere properly to the plastic. Body shops may have a special solvent based formulation that will remain flexible, but that kind of detail work is likely to be expensive in labor costs. There may be damage to fastening points that is not readily seen.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
The problem with trying to repair the plastic is that polymer resins, used to repair metal panels, will not adhere properly to the plastic.
Obviously you would have to replace a damaged plastic part. That is just part of the self repair. And of course you would then have to get it painted, if it was a painted part.

Maybe if he showed us pictures of the damaged areas he is talking about, we could help him more easily.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Gentleman Resist, check the signature. I believe "he" is a lady.

If the damage is minor, a heat gun, a plastic forming tool similar to a woodburning set, Macro lense glasses, assorted sharp knives, a Dremel tool, and various wet abrasive papers can do wonders. Skill and experience are essential.

As I suggested earlier, it is generally more cost effective to replace the part with a new or salvaged piece and paint it professionally, using top quality paint.

·
Registered
338 Posts
btw

i was told ALL panels come unpainted for the insight.....just had my rear replaced....semi hit it ten times....long story....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One thing to consider also is whether or not the under lying bumper sustained any damage as well. The only way to tell is to remove the rear bumper, but it's actually very easy to do. A picture would help here a lot to get a better idea if we're just talking sanding and paint, or some body filler, or major work here.

Unless you know what your doing or have someone who knows what they're doing helping you, I wouldn't recommend diving in to the body work unless your willing to possibly make it not perfect at first. I've done body work on plastic body panels before and it came out very nice, but took a lot of time.

Also it should be mentioned that the lower black bumper piece is separate. I've seen more than one Insight that had that buldged in because it is the farthest out piece so it always seems to be the first to get hit. This can be replaced easily in about an hour, I've done it to two different Insight's already.... and they stock that in California conveniently.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sounds like a good tip James. That would imply that the bumper is ABS not PVC. Testing your technique on a hidden spot would gain you some experience. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
legislation...

All plastic parts now have to have a recycling code on them...

If they are large enought to have it without impacting function...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the various replies! I'm still driving around with dents (in both the painted part & the black bumper). Also, I'm still clueless about how to tactfully ask a skillful person to do it for less than the $1,000.....& to bypass my insurance company. Maybe Craigslist???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts