Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen anything regarding this subject. I just got back from a cross country trip where my Insight was jam packed. We left Yellowstone and were heading to the Grand Canyon when the charge indicator would only indicate 5 bars, even when my foot was on the brake. Same thing with the assist indicator, I was only getting partial assist. Even so, the battery was nearly fully charged when it suddenly went to one bar and the IMA and "check engine" lights came on. Thank goodness I was only about 45 miles from a dealer in Kingman, AZ. The problem was that I had the vents inside the car blocked not allowing the air to circulate and cool the IMA batteriers, so they basically overheated and shut down. There is a vent behind the passenger seat, and one on each side of the cargo bin in the rear. DO NOT block those vents when you pack for a trip or you could cause yourselves a big problem :!: :!: :!: The dealer reset the engine warning lights and charged? the batteriers, and charged me $91. Said because I caused the problem it wasn't covered under the warranty. Everything seems to be working fine now. This subject should be much more prominently displayed :!: I have looked and can't find mention of it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I think that you are a first timer on this issue.

THANKS alot for telling us about it. I very often find myself with lots of bags and some of the loose stuff bags goes on the vent.

I will always check that nothing prevents cooling from now on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info!

We should all be splitting the cost for that lesson. :wink: Ok, just kidding. But, Thanks so much for letting us know.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yea, sorry about the bad luck. I was sure we'd be the first person with this problems because my mom likes to drive ours without the A/C in 95+ Florida heat (don't ask how she does it :shock: ). That battery pack definitely doesn't like very hot conditions and will recal very quiclky if used too much in the heat.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Welcome to the desert. Next time make sure you have the air blowing hard and that passenger far vent blowing directly towards that opening. And the passenger seat at least a click up with nothing blocking it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaron Cake said:
FYI, "charged" the batteries means that someone sat in the car, holding the RPMs above 3000 or so for 5-10 minutes.
That doesn't sound like it would be that good for the car to do that. I could have charged it back up myself driving to the Grand Canyon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have not seen anything regarding this subject
It is somewhere in the owner's manual where they decribe what that vent is for. I don't think they highlighted it or anything though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
well, playing devil's advocate...
If Honda thought it was a good idea to put a vent there...maybe we shouldnt be covering it?

On the other hand.

Since its not very well documented, theres no reason not to cover it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Driving from cleveland to NC, i also had a battery overheating problem. Covering the vents was the cause... i plan on "adjusting the rear wall between the seats with a new vent, a fan and a switch to better cool the batteries

·
Registered
65 Posts
JustinGray said:
i plan on "adjusting the rear wall between the seats with a new vent, a fan and a switch to better cool the batteries
Excellent idea. Please post pics and procedures so we can do the same. Or, perhaps you could market a vent/fan conversion kit! Hmmmm. $$$.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am currently back at Georgia Tech untill early december. what that translates into is long days of studying and not much else. So I am not sure when i am going to get around to making this mod, but when i do, i will certainly be happy to make a small kit and provide it to people, at cost. In all likely hood, it will require little more than a few feet of wire, an hobby knife, and a few computer fans

1 - 12 of 12 Posts