Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this happened twice over a month ago that the AC would stop cooling, so I turned it off, then 5 or 15 minutes later I try it again and it would work fine. I had a similar issue with a 2006 Civic and it was a problem with the AC clutch. The air gap was just a bit off so sometimes it wouldn't engage. Some prying or hammering on the clutch plate got it working fine again. Does the Insight AC clutch have this problem?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nope. Never heard of or experienced that on any of the first gen insights. Is the 134a at the right amount? Too much or too little will cause the compressor to not kick in, or in your case, kick out. You really have to be on the money with the freon. When it is running and the compressor clicks on, does the compressor stay on and not click out within 5 seconds? Assuming so, does it blow cold? If not, you're probably low. Too much won't allow it to stay on either...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are you looking at the compressor to verify it's stopping when it should be engaged?

·
Registered
140 Posts
...I had a similar issue with a 2006 Civic and it was a problem with the AC clutch. The air gap was just a bit off so sometimes it wouldn't engage. Some prying or hammering on the clutch plate got it working fine again. Does the Insight AC clutch have this problem?
I had this problem. It was partly due to the clutch pulley wobbling from a seized bearing, but also with the gap between clutch plate widening. If you have a lot of mileage on the compressor this will happen naturally from the clutch wearing down. There are spacer washers you can remove to adjust this gap. Just remove the clutch plate, take out the spacer, and replace it with a thinner one and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Unlike some other A/C systems the clutch rides on a ball bearing which is pressed on the nose of the compressor if that bearing fails and siezes it destroys the aluminum front compressor housing. that bearing carries the belt load with the compressor engauged or not engauged.

c

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
The pulley will get wobbly when when the bearing goes as I have learned this could mess with your clutch. It burnt my clutch out. I then screwed up my compressor shaft by forgetting to remove the clip that holds the bearing on, really stupid of me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts