Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never set my seat way back, even though it's recommended in case the air bag deploys. Being closer is more comfortable and gives me more control of the car.

Was wondering what everybody else does?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Until recently, I used to ride pretty close up (I am 6' 0). However, my left leg has been getting sore over the past years from using the clutch repeatedly. I moved the seat back to put less stress on my leg and it has helped enormously. I am just shy of 42 and I'm afraid that someday the next vehicle is going to have to be an automatic/CVT. Stop and go traffic is just too taxing on the clutch leg.

·
Registered
140 Posts
At 6'5" (36" inseam) I set the seat ALL the way back, and reclined until it hits the rear bulkhead. I have currently mocked up a set of blocks to raise the front of the seat 1-1/4" and the back at least 3/8" for thigh support and a little extra leg room. It does make a huge difference in the feel of the seat.

I think my next project will be to dive into the steering column. I'm hoping that (like my CRX) even though the colum doesn't tilt, it can still be unbolted, moved down, possibly a few inches toward the driver, and re-attached with the proper spacers.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am also 6'5" and have the seat all the way back. The tilt is just to the point I'm comfortable. The shifter is easy enough to use when the seat is all the way back because it has so little weight. I couldn't do that on my other car (MINI Cooper S) because the shifter has some good weight on it and getting into 5th would be next to impossible.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Delta Flyer:

___6’-1” and I too have the seat all the way back and tilted back against the bulkhead. I don’t do this because of the airbags but because I find myself being most comfortable in this position. I am overall happy with the ergonomics of the Insight other then possibly an inch or so too little hip room.

___If you have ever sat in an 03/04 Corolla or an 04 Prius, you may feel a slightly substandard ergonomic driving position with the wheel just an inch or two too far away for the pedals to be reached comfortably. I am sure they did his to try and receive better Crash test scores but the position is more awkward then any other automobile I have owned to date.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:eddnoijq][email protected][/email:eddnoijq]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You only need to be over 8" away from the airbag for safety.
Contrary to popular belief there is an ideal driving position for every body and it is not based on personal preference.
But depending on the vehicle adjustments and height of the driver compromises in the ideal position need to be made just to fit...
For example if your head hits the ceiling....

1) seat in a position that allows a slight bend of the knee when clutch is fully depressed.
2) back rest upright to allow a 90 to 120 degree bend in the arms when holding the steering wheel at 9 and 3. This position should allow your wrist to reach the top of the steering wheel without moving your shoulder off the seat back.

I instruct at a car control school and about 99% of the people are not seating in the ideal position in their cars when they start the course.

Once you get used to the proper seating position you will find that it gives you much better control of your vehicle and it's ergonomically the most comfortable position as well. That's why race seats only come in the ideal upright seating position (they don't recline at all).

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm still experimenting with positions to find the right one. I don't think I will, because I have never found it in any other car to date. :roll:

It seems the major determinant in my case is the clutch pedal, and being able to fully depress it without stretching. It's even more of an issue in this car with the idle stop.

My seat is about 3 inches from the back.

Does anyone else think the seats are a little low? I am not tall, but not short either. (5' 10")

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my few complaints against the Insight is the seat. Come to think of it, the 1988 CRX HF was more comfortable and could be set back more.

I can't rember my CRX windshield to compare, but it would be nice if the windshield extended farther so you could look up easier. Might not be much of a difference between the Insight and other Hondas in this regard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The CRX was absolutely the most comfortable (less than a bazillion dollar model that is) car I have sat in. I was a little disappointed the Insight didn't carry on the design. Different car, different sizes, etc. I understand but still disappointed.

I'm 5'12" and could slide the CRX seat all the way back and not be able to depress the clutch. LOADS of room. You could also recline all the way (almost) back too. Can't quite do that in my Insight.

Thanks for that info on raising the seat. Will do that this weekend. Have heaps of head room.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a 1988 CRX HF as well (Photo: http://www.schaffrath.net/photos/CRX1988.jpg) and really enjoyed the car, especially the 46+ MPG I was getting (and this was a four-cylinder 1988 vehicle!). I drove it 12½ years and replaced it with the 2000 Insight I now have. I would still be driving it if not for the fact that the body was starting to get alot of rust around the wheel wells and it was going to need some major maintenance to the tune of around $2500+. I wound up selling it for $700. Even though I had the manuals, I did not do much of maintenance on my own (including oil changes) opting to go to the dealer for the routine 15K services and local 15 minute oil change place.

When I got the Insight, I decided that I was going to be alot more involved in it's maintenance. To date, it has only been to dealer for recall work. Much to my surprise, I have found that routine maintenance is not that big a challenge. I have done all of my own oil changes and will be switching over to Mobil-1 at the next change (Pep Boys has a sale this week on Mobil-1 for $3.99/qt with a coupon. I picked up 6 quarts).

·
Registered
225 Posts
5' 7" halfway back, tilt is between 60 and 70 degrees from bolt upright. Same reason as Holicow, gotta get to that clutch. And I like a bit of bend in the knees when the pedal is on the aluminum.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rschaffrath said:
My 1988 CRX HF was white and was totaled in a Sept 2000 rear-ender. Once I got 76+ mpg cruising at 50 mph. After a very bad tune-up that nearly burned up the engine, I seldom got more than 40 mpg. It had nearly 250,000 miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts