1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was planning on going this exact route with my car to help carry things I dont want in the truck- gas cans, coolers, ect -
I had the curt company send me the installation instructions for the hitch and manual for the carrier - it is plastered with warnings - one specific warning was about the need for additional tie off supports were required for the carrier - I asked for examples and they had none, just stood by "You must properly tie off cargo carrier" -
Basically they are not responsible I wasnt not comfortable so I dont think I will do it.
Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer is "yes." Not only does adding a trailer hitch void your warranty, but mounting a roof rack does as well. If Honda doesn't sell the accessory, then the car wasn't built to accomodate it and adding an after market accessory voids the warranty. I called both my Honda dealer and Honda America.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Basically Honda has to prove the product caused the damage in the first place. They cant just say because you installed a KN filter, that you are just out of warranty for any service need. Dont get me wrong, they may try to, but they need to prove it.

Having said that, I have both the hitch and rack. Ive used the rack, but the hitch is for protection from being rear ended.

I think curt is saying that you must secure your cargo with a not or bungie straps to tthe carrier. Then I would used a wire rope with lock through the carrier to the hitch ear holes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it's just a bolt on

If the thing just bolts on then just take it off before you go to the dealership. As far as the tray goes, yes they mean you have to secure your cargo from flying off and possibley hitting something and causing damage which they do not want to be held liable for. How much does the hitch and tray weigh?

·
Registered
54 Posts
As far as the tray goes, yes they mean you have to secure your cargo from flying off and possibley hitting something and causing damage which they do not want to be held liable for. How much does the hitch and tray weigh?
I am sorry but you are incorrect.

I specifically asked curt.mtg to elaborate on cautions in the instructions and Brad Howell responded that "stabilizing straps" were required with this carrier when a load was in place.

Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would find it annoying if my entire warranty is voided by placing roof racks on mine. Before I agreed to purchase the car, a sales manager found racks online that were made to fit. I told them I would not buy a car that could not be fitted, and I told them that I needed to occasionally carry a light ladder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
racks

So this weekend I was checking on the permanent ink markings I had made on the top of my door frames to make remounting my Yakima racks much easier, when I finally noticed that the car was made with indentations that mark the location for all four Q towers. Coincidence?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Nope. Many cars that are sold abroad have some towing ability, however most manufactures remove that in the US literature.

I use the roof for large items like ladders, poles, pipe and light stuff in a cargo bag. Heavier stuff i put inside or half way out the back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts