Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a grid charger from Hybrid Revolt earlier in the year along with the discharger option and a couple of harnesses. We ran a successful charge on our 2000 Honda Insight, and then tried a discharge/charge cycle. That failed with an R10 error, I believe soon after switching from discharge to charge.
I cannot find much on the R10 error. I'm not clear whether the R10 error indicates that the grid charger has failed and should be returned for repair, or we have the wrong parameters for the battery (it's a Re-Involt Technologies battery with 8AH sticks, I believe), or there's some other change we should make, or we should just ignore the error and try again.
I was not able to get the data logger to work when we ran the cycle.

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
There are dozens of different grid charger designs discussed on IC. The Genesis/HybridRevolt system is unique and many folks aren't going to recognize your title.

The R10 code displayed on the LCD is one of the charging stop reasons, specifically, "Higher current than expected through power supplies." It sounds like you might have a short somewhere in your system.

You mentioned that you have two harnesses. Does that mean you have harnesses on two cars? If so, you could try charging on the second car to see if you get the code there.

The Genesis/HybridRevolt system has a lot of built in protections. I doubt that you have damaged it. Since your installation is new, you may have a harness short of some type, or you may have wired the harness incorrectly.

Hybrid Re-Involt was sold a couple of years ago to Dorman. Do you have an old pack from them, do you have a Dorman pack, or do you have a HybridRevolt pack from Phoenix?

Lets wait and see if any other owners of the Genesis/HybridRevolt system chime in. If not within a couple of days, I can repost the entire thread under a more eye catching title.

It might help if you list the charger settings you used. I assume you know that the charger/discharger manual is here:

http://hybridrevolt.com/GC Instr 3_0_C Nov 2013.pdf

It is always helpful to list your city location so that any close by experienced folks might help. Go to the "user CP" button above and list your city in your profile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We do have harnesses for two cars, but have only installed one on the 2000 Insight. We need to get the Insight working so we can install the second harness on the 2005 Civic.
We used the factory-set profile for a 2000 Insight. I see we could change the capacity of the battery, but I don't know if we should for the high capacity battery, or what we should change it to. It seems like the voltages are far more important.

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
Were you trying the discharge/charge cycle because the battery was having problems?

Where are you located?????

·
Registered
220 Posts
Perhaps the charger expected to see a full 6,5 Ah battery after some time, and your 8 Ah battery still wasn't.

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
I would wager that the problem is the battery, not the charger. The charger is pretty well protected from car issues. For example, there is a fuse in the harness to prevent over current. There are also a number of software tests to protect the charger, the R10 being one of them.

If you already had the IMA light, you are probably dealing with a defunct battery - sorry. To be sure, you should take the car to an automotive store and have them read out the error codes, or you could pay a Honda dealer a small fee to read the codes for you. If you go to a non Honda store, you will need to also capture the blink codes by this method:

http://99mpg.com/mikestips/readingtheblinkcod/

You can use a bent paper clip to create the short. This is low voltage stuff on the plug so you won't get shocked. Be sure to write the codes and the blinks down, it is easy to get confused as some of the codes are very similar.

Report back the codes and the blink codes. Let the blink codes cycle several times so you make sure you get them right.

Again, what is the source of this battery?????

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
I once had the R10 when first charging a battery that had thrown codes. I tried again after a resting period and it went through the full cycle of charge/discharge.

I think the weak battery just needed too much charge. After a small one it was balanced enough to be able to continue.

Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has ever seen an R10. I tried the grid charger again yesterday on run modes 1 and 2 and almost immediately got an R10 error every time. In run mode 2 the current rapidly rose from about 337 mA to 449 mA.
I believe it threw a P1449 before we stopped driving the car, but I don't remember. I'll see if we can run the codes again this weekend.
This is a Re-involt Technologies battery that was installed by their installer in Seekonk, MA in 2012 (before they got purchased by Dorman).
I guess rebuilding the battery would be difficult as we cannot buy similar sticks. All the ones I can find are spec'd for 6.5 Ah.

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
Things can always go wrong, but it is a bit hard for me to envision how the battery itself might fail so as to generate the R10. I have never seen the code in several years of charger use, but apparently others have. I'm not sure how the charger detects a R10 condition, but perhaps by rate of change of the charge current. I agree that the manual doesn't offer much insight into the R10 charger code.

It would be tricky to measure the resistance between the harness hot wire and ground because of lingering charge on large capacitors in the IMA system. Possibly a good way to ruin a good meter.

I think the best bet would be to contact the designer of the charger/discharger directly. Even though he is no longer in the charger business, he is still active in the Insight community. Mike Dabrowski can be contacted at:

[email protected]

Pose your question as you did in the original post and perhaps he can offer some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
Mode 2 is the low current charge mode. Any charge current over 350 mA is definitely an anomalous condition. In theory, there could be a short in the charger harness or its hookup, or there could be some low resistance path to ground within the battery or IMA system. I suspect the charger is protecting itself with the R10 charge stop. Again, e-mail Mike and see if he can offer any advice.

Be sure to let him know that you have a second harness for the Civic. He might be able to suggest a simple test using the uninstalled Civic harness??

You could also contact Matt at HybridRevolt, but I don't think he did any redesign of the charger/discharger. He did redesign the harnesses a bit to eliminate the PTC sensor circuit, but don't think that would be a problem.

Did you install the harness yourself or was it installed by someone else?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
What is the current readout say when you get the R10?
The Tec edit current calibration and internal current pot adjustment as well as the temperature calibration
Depend on which harness was used as the base harness during calibration.
There is a rather small window of current that is accepted as in range.
Sometimes the cc power supplies can drift slightly out of range

1 - 12 of 12 Posts