Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me. I have a 2000 Insight. When I bought it I was told that an o2 sensor was out and that it was possibly the lower one(?). Check engine light came on, so I took it to the dealer and had them check it out. They pulled code P0134- 02 SENSOR (Bank 1 Sensor 1). The dealer said that it was the "back 2" sensors(?). I asked him how many sensors there were, he said 3 total. He said that the diagnostic print out made it look like they would have to order a "kit".
I would much rather replace the parts on my own if at all possible, but when I tried to find what he was talking about online, it was like trying to decipher a foreign language.
Was wondering if anybody out there might be able to help?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Don't go by what they say and have the code checked again. The code you have doesn't match up with what they say, the code you gave is for the first O2 sensor and not the second. Autozone or some place similar can pull the code for you.

Also, add your location to your signature block so we have an idea of where you are at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, ive been reading thru some of the other threads and starting to think that the dealership guy doesnt know what hes talking about. He said that there were 3 oxygen sensors. From what I can tell there are only 2, right?
Im in LaCrosse, Wi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My check engine light comes on sometimes, but then goes off. It was not on when I asked AutoZone to pull codes. They said that they can only pull codes if light is on. The Check Engine, brake, battery, and IMA lights all came on today. Im gonna go there first thing in the morning and see if they can try again

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Please put your Location in your Profile. It saves space, I was told.
Thank You
Willie

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
m15:

Check this for sensor: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/26279-o2-sensor-cvt.html

If you have an mt, it may have a five wire sensor, confirm to make sure you get the right part.

I had 0134, 0135, 1164, 1165 codes, all related the first sensor ( between the engine and the cat). I think the later g1's (04 and beyond) had a 3rd sensor installed.

Easy diy fix. Be careful not to hit the adjacent plug coil with your wrench when the sensor 'breaks free'. (A little penetrant like PB Blaster may help with breaking it loose).

Location can be added in your profile.

Good luck,

..Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from an Auto Parts store that runs free diagnostic.
They pulled the codes p1568 and p1449. Gonna google em now and see if I can find out what those are...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like p1449 is a code referring to "Honda Battery Module overheating or Battery Module individual voltage"
From reading through a couple threads, kinda sounds like sticks are pretty low. I have a friend that has a grid charger. Do u think that my car could still be a candidate to try and charge? Or do u think it might be too late??
Also the code p1568 sounds like maybe faulty ground wire(???)

Its funny, neither code was for o2 sensors....

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
m15:

Here is link that AbCaRed00 posted some time ago, follow the link in the link for a spreadsheet on codes: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/21646-honda-obdii-dtc-flash-codes-diagnostics-links-insight-2000-2006-a.html

Your 1568 may be related to temperature of the pack. May be worth finding out if your pack cooling fan works. Some insighters have had it quit working, leading to pack overtemp and pack shutdown.

Your 1449 is related to pack deterioration (old cells / sticks that are way out of balance). Don't know if the 1568 may have led to the 1449. Other Insighters with more experience than me may weigh in on that. If they're not related, you may need to grid charge to rebalance the cells. I haven't got the 1449 yet (next step past my 1447), but grid charging is adding life to my pack (I also deep discharge, which I'm doing this week).

Doesn't hurt to verify your grounds, but I'd look into the cooling fan for sure and make sure the cooling inlet (behind the passenger right shoulder) is not blocked.

btw: there are many experienced Insighters in your area.

Good luck,
..Bob

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Looks like p1449 is a code referring to "Honda Battery Module overheating or Battery Module individual voltage"
From reading through a couple threads, kinda sounds like sticks are pretty low. I have a friend that has a grid charger. Do u think that my car could still be a candidate to try and charge? Or do u think it might be too late??
Since you know someone with a grid charger, you may as well hook it up to your battery and give it a try.

Although it may not make it better it certainly won't make it worse.

Feel free to call me if you get stuck.

How long have you had the Insight?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the car and was only able to drive it for about 6 months before the IMA and battery lights all came on. I took it to the Honda dealer in town, they ran diagnostics and they came back with p1449 -IMA DETERIORATION and the p0134- 02 (BANK 1 SENSOR 1) codes.
He said that the "back 2" Oxygen sensors needed to be replaced and quoted $513 for parts and labor.
And that the IMA needed to be replaced and quoted $4,333 for that...
So needless to say.. I assumed I was screwed.... We drove it for a day or 2 after that, until the regular battery died, and then it sat all winter (and for about another 6 months)
Until my brother-in-law, who has a small garage and car lot in Minnesota, asked if he could tow it back to his place and see if he could figure out how to fix it. (He doesnt know anything about Hondas OR hybrids. Strictly Ford/Chevy etc).
Anyways, he said that he replaced the small, dead battery with a new one. And noticed that all of the terminals to the IMA looked corroded, so he cleaned them and then the car ran fine.
So it sat for about a year before he "fixed it" and Ive been driving it for about 2 1/2 months before all the lights and stuff started coming back on

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Don't ever let Honda replace your batteries. You can get one from the vendors here for $2000-$2100.

Honda will always try to force you to buy new BCM/MCM for an extra $1500 or so.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
"they ran diagnostics" What sucks is that Honda doesn't actually run diagnostics, the car already did that for you and is why the check engine and IMA lights come on to indicate that a diagnostic check failed and a diagnostic trouble code is available. Honda's work was limited to plugging in a code reader that shows the P code, which is something any Autozone and many other similar parts shops will often do for free.

You won't know its fixed until you've run the pack through its paces because whenever you remove 12v, it loses the battery status and drops the trouble codes and it might take a full charge-discharge cycle or a fair amount of driving and some time for the car to rediscover the problem. My guess is you'll see it soon enough.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
m15:

A charge cycle will vary in length for each car. My charges vary also even though they're on the same car. Depends on what voltage you start at and how unbalanced the pack is. Count on anywhere from 18 to 36 hours on the first rebalancing.

Your P1568 code: any new info on that. Pack cooling fan working?

Your P0134: is the primary sensor near the back of engine. Were you able to find a replacement? After installing the new sensor, your car will need to 'reset readiness'. It will do this on its own after a few 'driving cycles'. This is necessary before having an emissions inspection (if your state does that). Read this thread to see more about readiness and a way to check it yourself: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/26217-obii-readiness-indicator.html

btw: should you decide to get a new pack, there are folk here on IC who mfr them with better quality and less cost than Honda can provide. Ericbecky, Eli (Bumblebee Battery), and HybridRevolt (Matt) are a few to consider, they receive very positive comments from Insighters who have purchased their product.

..Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMA fan

Im having trouble locating threads about how to check the IMA fans.
Does anybody have any experience with this? On the outter cover of the IMA pack there's all kinds of crazy warnings of "electrocution and death" may occur?
I might as well make sure that I know what Im doing before I start messing around with :blob:
Also, I was wondering in your guys's opinion, should I drive the car a lil bit everyday to keep the small battery charged(?) Or is it better to let it set until I can check the fan and/or get it charged?
The IMA light is on and it doesnt look like its charging anymore. Also, the check engine light, brake light, and small battery light recently came on...
Not sure where I should start!!!

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
m15,

Good to be cautious around the pack. Usually after turning off the IMA switch under the small cover, and letting the capacitors drain off for several minutes, the unit is safe to look around. But there is still some risk.

Consider pm, website visit, or phone call with ericbecky, he is a pack mfr and fellow Insighter in WI. Maybe you can work something out with him for some tech assist.

Check out his signature a few posts above.

edit: m15, I may have steered you wrong on the pack fan, could be this: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/23881-p1568-code-ima-wont-reset.html

I would definitely consult Eric (ericbecky) or Eli (Bumblebee battery) for the expertise of their experience.

..Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts