Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has done a very wide service recall on one/all of the original ECMs because the car did not meet polution standards. There has been a lot of discussion of this replacement program, but no one has been able to identify the original ECM part number. I think it would be worthwhile to find out the # of the original part. I would expect the part number to be of the form:

37820-PHM-3xx , where the x's signify the missing parts of the number.

1. You might find the original part # on your replacement service invoice,
2. You might be able to get your Honda dealer to pull up the #,
3 You might be a Honda tech and know the answer,
4. You may know someone who knows the #.

I'm pretty sure that the early cars, say 2000-2003 would be the most likely to be sources of information. We already know that they were correcting the problem after those approximate dates.

Thanks, it would be a service to us all!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know my previously failed ECM does have one of the first ECM ever made for this car. I don't have it on me right now but I believe it is 37820-PHM-355. My car was built on Nov 1999. I can check when I get home.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I got a 37820-PHM-345 on Ebay. I thought I heard of someone mentioning a 318?

·
Registered
737 Posts
My silver car is two down at 316 .
That's probably what I was thinking. Must be my MOPAR tendencies showing through.:p

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay I just got back home. My part number is 37820-PHM-505 SP.

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I just got back home. My part number is 37820-PHM-505 SP.
Near as I can piece the story together, that means you had the service recall and the dealer installed a 505 for whatever you originally had. It kinda looks like Honda, at some point, started installing the flashable 505 and 506. Some folks got 3xx series in the recall, and some other folks seem to have gotten 50x series. The logic I don't understand, probably depends on when Honda did the recall. Just guessing.

Please put your info in the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsCIWnPHFF4KdHhRSlZ3ZjRzbFZoQ2Z6d1JVa0JUalE#gid=0

If you know when the recall service was done, that would be helpful info in the "comments" block.

Thanks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There were 2 different recalls, the first one replaced the original with the high 3xx series, and the second one replaced the original with the 505 (for 2000s) and the 506 (for 2001s).

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were 2 different recalls, the first one replaced the original with the high 3xx series, and the second one replaced the original with the 505 (for 2000s) and the 506 (for 2001s).
That is very interesting information and the spreadsheet seems to agree with this assessment. Can you provide any additional detail such as service bulletin numbers and dates. Just asking;)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It appears not so exclusively... to add to the confusion:

My '2000' model, S/N in my sig, Cdn. equipped vehicle has a '506' indicated on service records, replaced in 2008 per K66 recall.
fwiw: My car was only sold off of the Honda lot in the spring of 2001.

The service record from Honda West in Calgary indicates:
Engine MIL light on.
Assess Reason Engine Check Light triggered:
[LAF code plus, cat issue P0420]
Complaint: Perfor K66 Recall per V-5-07
Correction Perform K66 as per LOP121100
Replaced ECU ...... DC 5PW CC K66
Replacement part: 37820-PHM-506 [on warrantee]
________
EDIT:
Converter replacement part number: 06180-PHM-A00
LAF replacement part number: 36531-PHM-A02
Dated: March 20/08 @ 100,000 km.

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the 505 and 506 are programmable, perhaps they are interchangable with the correct Honda programming??? Sure would be nice to have a Honda tech speak to that issue.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Aha! I just checked my more recent Honda maintenance receipts and discovered that my ECM was replaced a second time, April, 2009, with model 37820-PHM-505 just as racer26 stated (spreadsheet updated).

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked for recalls against my VIN at this site:

Honda Automobile Recall Information

I only see one recall involving ECM. Perhaps your second ECM was not a recall but a warranty replacement associated with a battery claim??? See if you get the same results for your VIN, please. The Canadian version might have actually had two formal recalls, but my U.S. 2001 only had one.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I checked for recalls against my VIN at this site:

Honda Automobile Recall Information

I only see one recall involving ECM.
That's what Honda Owner Link shows for my 2000 Insight as well, but both of my Honda service receipts describe the reason for replacing the ECM as "recall".

Perhaps your second ECM was not a recall but a warranty replacement associated with a battery claim???
My second ECM replacement was described as a "product update" in Service Bulletin 07-038. So I guess it's not an official recall. This service bulletin describes the defective part as 37820-PHM-345 and the replacement parts as 37820-PHM-505 (2000 Insight) and 37820-PHM-506 (2001 Insight).

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I was browsing Ebay today and found a PHM 316 ECU. The 345 I had developed an annoying habit of throwing an error code for the V-tec system. I swapped my 505 back in and the error code went away. I may have to add to my collection again.:p

·
Registered
737 Posts
Update:

I have a PHM-316 ECU on it's way to me. It may be nearly a month until I can get it in a try it out though. I should receive it by next Tuesday however, I'll need to ship it to CA to have the immobilizer modified/disabled then sent back. At the moment, the person doing the mod is currently out of a crucial part for about two weeks so with shipping times, it will be around Christmas or after. Should be interesting results.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Are the 3xx ECMs older than the Axx ones? I'd think not. I have an A02, I've seen A04 and A25 in the spreadsheet... Anyone know the/some differences among models?

·
6,932 Posts
Hmm. Insight #1 hasn't had the P0420 recall done. I should check it out. It's a 2001 though, so probably wouldn't have the earliest ECMs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My 316 came today. Now all I have to do is get it sent out to get the immobilzer chip "tweaked." ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts