Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you all.
I just picked up my new "well new to me" 2001 Insight CVT.
43000 miles and beautiful.

My husband has had his 2001 Insight 5spd same color as mine Silver for a year now. Is there anyone else out there that has two of these wonderful cars in thier family?

Any tips for me driving my CVT. ??? I have been reading the forums learning how to drive to get the best MPG.

On my first trip home from the dealer I got 60.3 on 195 miles. 1/2 hwy 1/2 back country roads. Thats not bad for my first trip. RIGHT? My husband said that was great for my first trip. I will get better as time goes on.

Thanks
ingsmyls

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ingsmyls.

I believe there are several Insight twin families on this forum, plus a couple of Insight/Prius families, and there is at least one Insight/Hummer family. One couple, now married, first met at an Insight gathering! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on your second Insight! I know if I could I would get another one for my wife.

(That way, her 50 mpg won't mess up my 65 mpg average ;) )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Our family has 4 drivers. We have 4 cars (mini van, Camry, Explorer and Insight). We are spending $600/month on gas. I am the long commuter and am spending $200 (100 miles per day in my Insight CVT). Thank God I have the Insight or we'd be spending $1000/month.

My wife is talking about getting rid of the Explorer she uses as a daily driver and getting a used hybrid. I think a Prius is a better family car (need to haul multiple kids and friends).

We may consider it. Her driving is mostly city, where the Prius would shine. Can't possibly afford a new car.

Oldest daughter drives the old 91 Camry to college (27 mpg). Daily commute about 40 miles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats on #2!!
We have a 2000 Insight, 2007 HCHII, and an 05 Prius. The Insight is my daily driver.
We are taking the Prius to Hybridfest Friday. It will be displayed there along with over 200 other hybrids. I'm scheduled to help the Toyota folks with their test drives.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, we have a 2006 Insight(mine) and a 2007 Prius(the hubby's). I drive a CVT Insight so I can definitely relate. I am getting 60-62 mpg typically during the summer months and mid to high 50's in the winter. I confess that I don't really use the AC much during the summer. Too much sacrifice. Slow starts and coast to a stop and I think you'll see you how those small adjustments can mean a lot to your mpg.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
yeah, over the years I have purchased 3 Insights brand new. 2002, 2003, and 2005. 2 silvers and one red. I try to keep them real clean, so I get top dollar when I sell them......

·
Registered
68 Posts
2 Insights

I have 2 CVT Insights, an '06 Silver, and a "new" Red '05 that I found at a dealer who had just got an unused executive car out of Honda Inventory, so traded an '04 Blue in on it. I had always wanted Red. I think this is a great color for the car. I have noticed some minor differences. The '06 seems a tad quieter than either the '05 or the '04. The '06 has a plastic gas cap holder with a tether so it sits there while filling up with gas and doesn't fall to the ground.
One odd difference is the rate the SOC discharges and charges. The Silver car sometimes will show nearly empty SOC whereas the Red one will show only 1/2 SOC over the same driving course (I have 1 long hill on my commute). Does anyone know if this is a potential problem? Or is the relative scale just different? The Silver one charges up faster too. Should I have the IMA battery checked?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
My Australian delivered 2001 Insight has a fuel filler cap plastic tether - I wonder why the differences - hmmmm....... :?:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife and I have his and hers Insights also. Two 2000 5spd, one red, one silver. Anyone want to ask the moderators to expand the posible avatar combinations?

·
Administrator
12,292 Posts

JohnHeller said:
Anyone want to ask the moderators to expand the posible avatar combinations?
Good Idea! Ben can we have a citrus yellow and blue Insight duo. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
OK, sounds cool, I made mention of it. I'm not sure what work is involved.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We also have a Silver and Red Insight. She can't figure out why she gets better mileage driving my silver one ... should I tell her I'm running 60psi while only 50psi in hers? :roll: JoeS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Two silver Insights--matching pair

Hello friends, it's been a while since I have checked in. When Honda discontinued making the Insight, I sunk into an automotive depression for months. Even quit reading InsightCentral. I bought my first Insight, 5 sp, silver, 2000 new in Jan 2001. It has 148,000 miles now, and a new IMA etc. at 93,000. Recently realized that if it should wear out on me I would possibly never be happy again. (well, not really I hope) So my husband and I just got back from St. Louis (1300 mile roundtrip) having bought another 2000 Insight, silver, only 85,000miles, new IMA--sight unseen, from Autotrader. Very nice couple with a new baby selling it for a more child-friendly vehicle. I am feeling really secure --a bit smug maybe. He had a waiting list of 12 people if we didn't decide to take it!! Maybe, if I am careful, these two will last me the rest of my driving life--or at least until Honda comes to their senses and makes a similar car.

Recently had the sensor experience--fuel/air ratio sensor and crank position sensor (so the shop tells me) went out. Runs smoother now. Guess there is one other O2 sensor to keep an eye on. Was close to $500. I no longer go to the dealer after they tried to tell me it really takes 3 qt of oil. Found a shop that I like a lot. What more could one want.

All the best to everyone,

Lynn

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know a family who has three Honda Civic Hybrids that they bought all at the same day. And when I drive there it looks like a Honda dealership, because in addition to the four hybrids they usually have other poeple over and Honda seems to be the only thing Tamils drive.

They're from Sri Lanka which is relevant to the last thing I said.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congrats on the second Insight!!! We've had two for a couple of years now. Our teenager is counting the months to Driver's Ed class. No way :!: our cars are going to Driver's Ed, but if the lessons are learned well, there's a possibility for Insight 3. Blue would look great with silver and citrus.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Back in the states and this thread caught my attention. Never realized that their were so many multiple Insight owners. Well we got a 02 CVT used for my daughter and I have had a 00 5SPD since it was new so we have had 2 Insights for about 2 years now. Have fun, Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts