Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an insight and I drive for best mileage in my current vehicle as I see it makes a difference, and cruise helps me achieve good mileage on my Yaris, But Im ready for an insight!! :) But I can get such a deal on LX, but no cruise. Im really okay with everything else that would be missing from the EX, but I want it to be easier to get high mileage, is cruise very beneficial to help with this or are people obtaining higher numbers by doing there own adjustments..... Curious... Ron

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I don't think it helps that much if you are focused on your driving. As a focused driver, you can read the road ahead of you and anticpate your power needs.

OTOH, if you are focused on your cell phone, your navigation system, your passengers, then cruise probably helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
IMO on the answer above. It depends "how" you drive. Some peoples have difficuly to keep a constant speed without cruise. Constant +/-5mph accel/ decel. In that case, cruise will help getting better mileage.

With the insight, if you use all the feedbak, and you focus on getting better mileage, you can do better without cruise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same questions when I was ready to buy my I2. I ended up buying the EX w Navi (cruise control). In my experiece and daily route I take to work, the difference in MPG is negligible. My commute is mainly highway with some rolling hills. In the end I am glad I opted for the cruise as it allows me the flexibility to decide if I want to use it or not.. my two cents.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Like has been mentioned, it depends where you use the cruise control. As a rule of thumb, cruise helps MPG on flat terrain; hurts in hilly areas.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I get better without it. I tend to set it and forget it and play with the radio. When I am driving I find myself hypermiling letting it slow more on grades and speed up mroe going down hill.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I can get better mpg when the cruise is turned off.

But I often use the cruise on flat terrain, and most often on very gentle downgrades. In those conditions the mpg is almost the same with cruise on vs off; but using the cruise gives me a break from the focused effort needed to get my top mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts