Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I don’t have many posts I have read this site almost daily for the past three years since I bought a used 2000 silver Insight. I am sure that many of you feel somewhat connected to the other members of this forum is one sense or another. Over the past week some of our VERY INSIGHTFUL contributors, such as Jim Holmgren and Rick have purchased new Honda Civic hybrids. I myself recently purchased a 2005 Prius for my wife. I am grateful to the moderators for opening up a new section to include other hybrid vehicles. I would hate to lose the expert advice these folks have provided us by having them feel that this site does not meet their needs, or welcome them. Without intending to create any divisiveness among the individuals who post on this site, all of whom seem to be a special group of men and women, I risk posing the following question: Do we consider a name change? (HONDA HYBRID CENTRAL, INSIGHT/CIVIC/ACCORD …. HYBRIDCENTRAL, HYBRID VEHICLE CENTRAL) Does the site want/need to evolve? Would we be stepping on the toes of the GREENHYBRID site? Are we better keeping our distinct name? Any thoughts………………??

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Bill thanks for the post.

In general "suggestion" posts are restricted by the rules to help keep IC the kind of place that's maintained your interest all these years :!: (more wheat, less chaff)

But this one is a bit different so we'll see how it goes.

The new forums are a result of a moderatos and administraitors discussion and for now are all that is planned (AFAIK). Your thanks are really due Benjamin and Brian and the other founders of this site. And your contributions to the forums are appreciated. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My only suggestion is that you please be sure to back this stuff up to a good reliable backup system...would hate to lose it all...

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Bill, good points. Some of the earlier Insight owners are moving on. xcel and Jim are good examples. I'm glad to see the site expand and become a little more inclusive, but I thing the moderators are going about it the right way.

The Insight is a uniquely designed hybrid, Maxed out for mileage and weight reduction, available in a stick shift, aluminum body, constructed like a research vehicle. It attracts technical people and those who wish to push the envelope. Consider the EV, turbo, and Mima versions! This site is known on the Net as the place to go for technical discussion and mileage tips, even by many who do not own Insights. Open the site up and make it too general and the postings for Insight insight will tend to get burried by general chatter. Sites like Green hybrid have to be general, because model specific sites already exist. (That is the perfect spot for unbiased mileage comparison for example.)

I see that this site continues to grow as more Insighters discover it. Likely it will eventually reach a state of equilibrium. That's cool. Commercial sites on the other hand try to grow as big as possible to maximize advertisement revenue. :wink:

When one Insighter leaves the fold the person who buys that Insight likely becomes a new member and the old member may drop back from time to time. As the fleet of Insights ages it will become even more important for information, mods, and parts exchange/supply.

It is possible that in time other hybrid owners who are hypermilers and technical will find a home in the new sections. For now it provides a unique home for Insighters, and an excellent model for other car specific hybrid sites.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kip:

I like your equilibrium example. You are correct in not wanting this site to expand with ads, dealer links, etc. The moderators have done a great job. let's leave it in their hands and see where it goes.

Bill

·
Registered
85 Posts
It would be nice to have had some 'news' posted in 2005. The last news posting on the home page was December 2004.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The home page is just the "bait" to get you into the forums. :p

Really only Benjamin or Brian post what they deem as Insight Central and "front page" newsworthy enough. In general the the newsmedia is cool toward the Insight and finding new "news" is difficult.

The latest breaking "news" can usually be found in the Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum sub forums:

Insight and Honda News

and

General News Discussion

HTH! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
And there were a couple even more recent items about discounted parking rates somewhere on the east coast (Boston?).
___
Neil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts