Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that some people have noticed that they can "burn rubber" with both their front tires. Does the Insight have some form of limited slip differential? (That would be awesome :D )

Do any of you experience one front wheel slipping when accelerating during a 90 degree turn after a stop for example?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes it has a limited slip differential. You can light up both tires simultaneously.

·
Registered
30 Posts
differential

there is no differential in a front wheel drive car. it is a transaxle. differentials are only used in rear wheel drive or some four wheel drive when a drive shaft is used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
differential

there is no differential in a front wheel drive car. it is a transaxle. differentials are only used in rear wheel drive or some four wheel drive when a drive shaft is used.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Probably then the half shafts from the transaxle to the wheels must be equal length, because often if one is shorter than the other (not uncommon in front wheel drive cars) then usually one wheel will get more torque than the other. But I'm not entirely sure that some type of limited slip system is not available for front wheel drive cars, because I've read in the past about cars like the older Nissan SE-R and the previous generation Acura Integra GS-R having limited slip functionality that other cars in the same line do not have, improving traction under acceleration.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
At least for the 2002 model year the differential is not limited slip (p. 13-60 of the Factory service manual -- no clutches). And as with most transaxles the differential is integral with the transaxle assembly.

John K. Bullock
aka Insightful Trekker

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it has a limited slip differential. You can light up both tires simultaneously.
Rick, Can you light up both tires in a turn?
That's the real test if it did have a limited slip differential.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My bad, I had my mind on muscle cars the other night. That was the same day I drove a 1970 Camaro around for a little while. Man that was nice getting those aggressions out (the Insight just doesn't compare to 400 hp).

Now as far as lighting them both up in to a turn that I do not know as I have never tried.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I suspect that the only way you'll light up both tires on the Insight is with a pair of flashlights.

Okay, okay. The car is light and the tires are narrow, and if they are overinflated, the pavement is warm, the engine is warm, you toast the clutch, etc. it will probably burn rubber.

It probably won't favor one side because the engine torque is along an axis parallel with the axles instead of perpendicular, as in the 400hp Camaro mentioned earlier. The engine doesn't rock the car, putting more weight on one side than the other.

If nothing else puts more weight or friction on one side than the other, both tires will spin without the differential function of the transaxle transferring all power to the spinning wheel. You don't need limited slip, unless you have REALLY bad traction on one wheel.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Will M said:
Okay, okay. The car is light and the tires are narrow, and if they are overinflated, the pavement is warm, the engine is warm, you toast the clutch, etc. it will probably burn rubber.
You make it sound (perhaps with tongue in cheek) like conditions have to be optimal. It's really not that hard to do on an Insight. The car has oodles of torque at low RPM for its size and weight. I have self-control, so I don't burn rubber in my Insight :)

However, my wife chirped the tires to show off for a friend once and I immediately scolded her (while grinning) for impacting my lmpg :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts