Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the three years of driving my 5-speed Insight, I have never used Premium gas as it seems the car manual says 89 octane is just fine. If better acceleration is the main benefit of Premium gas, then it probably matters little on a hybrid. A "premium battery pack" might make more of a difference. :D Since the CVT Insight is keeping fairly constant rpms, premium gas would seem irrevalant.

My question is did anyone notice any difference when using Premium gas?

On a related topic, I have heard that sulphur content is not only an enviromental concern, but it can shorten the CO2 sensor's life. I'd love to know which gas brands are low-sulfur.

Right now I'm in the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" but I could be pumping high-sulphur gas oblivious to the problems down the road...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The owners manual says 87 is fine in the US, but everything else says 91 or higher. In the service manual it says something like 91 octane or higher is recommended for best preformance and mileage. If you go in the the owners manuals from other countries they all say to use whatever their equivelent of premium gas is.

I ran one tank of 87 through mine then the rest were 91. There is a slight noticable difference. More over while in lean burn the effects might be more felt. All things considered you've got 10.8:1 compression which is up there high octane won't hurt a bit. The Hot Rod toy we have in our garage has about the same compression and it barely likes 91 octane, it ran much better on the 100 octane racing fuel we recently fed it. Then again thats old technology, your results may varry. I'm sticking to what the service manual says.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion groups on Yahoo have beat this to death over the years. I did my own tests, alternating tanks from regular to premium and back. I saw no difference between regular and premium. I saw much bigger differences from minor day-to-day differences in the commute.

Double-check what it says in the service manual, from what I remember of those discussions the 91 was the higher of the two "octanes" (Research Octane Number or Motor Octane Number). The average of the two (R+M)/2 is what is posted at the pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Premium vs Regular

Recently I ran two tanks of regular thru my 2000 five speed. Then I went back to Shell premium. The car seems peppier and the mpg slightly better with premium gas. The majority of my driving is expressways and parkways and I'm back up to 62mpg.

Jef Gamblee

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My CRX service manual suggested occasional fill-ups with Premium to prevent fuel injectors from clogging. They might have clogged once in the 12 years and 250,000 miles I had it.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi DF:

___Reading through a recent “Acura Style” magazine, there was a Q&A where someone asked if Premium was mandatory in the Premium recommended Acura’s. The answer from one of the Honda engine designers was that you can use Regular with a small decrease in performance. The Honda Pilot uses basically the exact same motor as the 01 Acura MDX (3.5 L - 240 HP/242 Ft.-Lb.’s of torque at a 10:1 compression ratio) and Regular Unleaded is recommended unless towing. For the MDX, Premium is recommended alone. That being said, I have been using Regular Unleaded in our 03 MDX (3.5 L – 260 HP/250 Ft.-Lb.’s of Torque at the same 10:1 Compression ratio) since day 1 and have far exceeded anyone’s mileage over in the SUV forum but I never ever run the X’s engine up to even half of redline.

___Even if you were run the Insight to WOT w/ 87 Octane, the KS should pull back timing before you could actually here any Ping or cause damage. The negative to all of this is that the Insight’s 10.8 and 10.3:1 compression ratio is at a point I have never heard of any automobile that can use Regular unleaded across all ranges. If you do in fact hear ping, I would have it checked out. There has to be a KS in there somewhere.

___If I ever do pick one up, it will be 87 all the way given the extra $0.20 in my locale for 91 Octane. That is equivalent of losing ~ 13% of my expected hwy mileage via fuel costs alone.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2lftf860][email protected][/email:2lftf860]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would think running 91octane gas would be a smart thing to do, if the owner's manual recommends it. But, if it recommends 87, then just go with what the manual says.

On an Insight, which gets extremely good gas mileage, I think the $ difference by filling up the car with 87 vs. 91 octane would be very minimal.

I am sure that the knock-sensor would retard the timing accordingly if 87 octane is used under heavy load... so the onlly thing you would have to worry would be performance issues. But, I guess this topic has been covered in the Yahoo group.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
My CRX service manual suggested occasional fill-ups with Premium to prevent fuel injectors from clogging. They might have clogged once in the 12 years and 250,000 miles I had it.

They suggested premium to unclog injectors because back then only premium gas had the detergents to do it. Now regular gas has detergents.

Don't get caught up in this premium gas kick. The Insight was designed for regular gas. I've also done my own tests and tried to keep my same driving style during it. I saw no difference in mpg.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew someone that used the old octane boost trick of putting mothballs in the tank. He burned up the engine. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
The trick with moth balls is 1 ball per 3 gallons of gas and only 100% naphthaline. I used it for years in high compression cars and never had a problem.
Louis

·
Registered
264 Posts
People.. .. the lower grade gases contain mmt which ruins your spark plugs and cat converter.... I only put 94 octance from Sunoco where I live because its the only gas without mmt... I don't know that the rules are in all the US states but in most states mmt isn't allowed but I'd check on this.

the Honda manual is pretty clear on not using gas with mmt... disgusting nasty additive...

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
.....No cause for alarm. Mr. Meow should make it clear he lives in Canada. MMT is an additive used to enhance octane levels. It is currently NOT sold at gas stations in the U.S.A. Anyway, octane is not the issue. Even with the relatively high compression engine, the Insight is designed to run fine with gas of 86 octane. Most regular unleaded in the U.S. is 87 octane. I use a good name brand like Chevron or Shell, because in my area (WA) they do not contain ethanol (grain alcohol). This is the same brand I use in my airplane. However, the Insight runs fine on up to 10 % ethanol, according to the section on oxygenates on page 250 of my 2003 owners manual. Billy.......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mr. Billy should be aware that not all states in the US follow the mmt rule each state has its own rules.. and should be checked... most US gas is not affected. However not all states.... The second thing to keep in mind a higher octane gas means cleaner burning better gas mileage..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts