Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the extensive FAQs and noted that the insight did not have cruise but some of the info looked like it was from older models.

So does the '04 model still lack cruise control ?

Sorry for the lame question but I just want to be sure.

Thanks
Matt

G

·
Hi Msaeger:

___I have read of some dealers installing the Rostra cruise units so unless the installer screwed something up major, it would not void your warranty. You can ask your local Honda dealer for the specifics just in case however …

___The real question is are you sure you want to install cruise? If you have a CVT, it makes sense but for a 5-speed, it would kill your Insight’s fuel economy possibilities and that is the #1 reason I suspect Honda left them off … Besides trying to save a few bucks as well ;)

___There are two other throttle control setups you may consider that are far less costly and won’t kill your mileage if you do in fact own a 5-speed. The “Throttle Strap” as used by Chisight is one. It is simply a long Velcro strap from the top of the accelerator pedal linkage to the seat frame. You control your accelerator pedal with your calf by maneuvering your leg as you see fit. For a long drive, it works fantastic from what I saw with my own eyes when I met with him earlier this year although I have never used it myself. The second is the “Throttle Strap Device” which locks the throttle at a particular angle to achieve the best driving with load setup I have read of to date. Rick Reese should post about his setup for you in this thread soon enough … A PM to him might help here as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:upnt32bi][email protected][/email:upnt32bi]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be getting the CVT model to replace my '04 Mazda 3 that was totalled last week due to an old lady ramming into the back of it while I was at a red light. If I had a manual my left leg would be about twice as big as the right from stop and go traffic on the wonderfully inaadequate Minnesota freeway system :)

Plus i'm so used to having cruise that I don't think I could go a consistant speed without it :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have cruise on my 5 speed, but honestly, I harldy ever use it. I have a 60 mile roundtrip commute each day and have probably used it less than a dozen times.
If you are going for maximum fuel economy, you may find that you have better control over what is needed compared to an aftermarket cruise control system. My cruise seems great for keeping a constant speed, but that does not necessarily equate to the best mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts