Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In June of 2021, another forum member proudly declared to me that, in all his years, he hasn't had any of his Insight's radiators sprout a leak and fail on him. I must say, this is quite good luck on his part.

If your Insight still has it's factory radiator in it, that radiator is most likely a liability at this point. Here is a stack of factory Insight radiators from the past few months at Jue Motors.

Not all of these had failed...yet. The ones that hadn't, were discoloring, showing microcracking, and/or the fins were starting fall apart. Note: the discoloring is a sign that the plastic is breaking down and weakening.

Short of running it out of oil, an overheat is one of the easiest and fastest ways to effectively kill your engine. A new radiator is a heck of a lot cheaper than a several thousand dollar head gasket job, or a new engine.

Here are some closeups of ones that have failed.

At Jue Motors we use new, aftermarket, radiators that look the same as the Honda original ones except they don't say Honda or have the Denso stamp on them. We recommend avoiding the CSF ones.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,657 Posts
One of the first things I did when I got my Insight was replace my radiator. When I pulled it, the fins were literally falling off it and you could see daylight between the tubes.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I'm curious. I still have my original radiator in my 2000 G1. However, I have changed my coolant every 30,000 miles. I'm now approaching 285,000 miles. Might I expect my radiator to last longer from this maintenance schedule?

-Bryan

·
Super Moderator
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yikes! That is a blown head gasket waiting to happen.

New radiators are available online, or you can purchase one directly from us at Jue Motors.

The advantage of buying one from Jue Motors is that you are guaranteed to receive an original style radiator and should you need it, we provide tech support over the phone. Also, we appreciate your support.

The choice is yours.

Edit: Something I neglected to mention. You should always replace your radiator cap when replacing the radiator. There are important plastic bits inside of it that degrade just like the radiators do. At Jue Motors, we stock quality Japanese made radiator caps.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Thanks, is it the fins that are concerning? (Just trying to learn.)
It's the color of the end tank that's concerning. It should be a jet black, but it's faded out to a more light grey color. This is from the plastic breaking down. Not to sound dramatic but just like everyone else with the OEM radiator, you're on very borrowed time.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,166 Posts
With the fins in that condition, you do get a complete lowering of the hot fluid temp, (min air through the fins) as the fluid is hottest at the top of the radiator.
On the older radiators (eons ago) we used to use a "comb" on the radiator to keep the fins happy with the air flow.

·
Registered
326 Posts
New radiators are available online, or you can purchase one directly from us at Jue Motors.

The advantage of buying one from Jue Motors is that you are guaranteed to receive an original style radiator and should you need it, we provide tech support over the phone. Also, we appreciate your support.

Edit: Something I neglected to mention. You should always replace your radiator cap when replacing the radiator. There are important plastic bits inside of it that degrade just like the radiators do. At Jue Motors, we stock quality Japanese made radiator caps.
What's the cost of a radiator + OEM cap shipped from you guys?

Considering mine is original and I'm planning on doing a water outlet reseal, I might as well replace the rad.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I read your thread a while back. Mildly scared about the knock sensor, but I love a good challenge.

Saw how much a new one from Honda costs which I'd rather do. I can probably swing a new one with a friend's discount if I epically fail. I've gone through worse.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,657 Posts
Julian— After this much time and heat cycling under the hood, you should assume your knock sensor is made of the equivalent of beach sand. They are that durable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts