Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread @Bull Dog. I'm usually in the run until it breaks camp. Seeing that stack of radiators you've got there has changed my mind. Only one of the 15 has the numbers more worn off than mine.
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Vehicle Rim

I used a rag to wipe it down to see them better. It didn't help but it did show The plastic is starting to spider web. It really looks like I'm on borrowed time here.

What's the cost of a radiator + OEM cap shipped from you guys?

Considering mine is original and I'm planning on doing a water outlet reseal, I might as well replace the rad.
I would like to know the cost as well.

I'm also curious to know, how big is y'alls stack of heater cores. How often do those fail?

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
89 Posts
I looked at mine because of this thread. The plastic is starting to discolor but it seems to be on the beginning of it's way out. The fins near the gap in the hood/bumper are pretty bad. Getting close to needing a new one. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
89 Posts
It looks far better than any posted here. I don't know if it's the original but I'm willing to take the risk of using it for a litte longer with an eye on it now I know what to look for. Never really inspected it before.

·
Registered
2001 Insight Manual
34 Posts
Aw man, you just had to make this thread, huh?

Kidding aside, thanks for pointing this out. Better to know and get it done proactively than wait until it's too late.

Took a look at mine and the numbers are mostly gone, plastic is gray and lightly spiderwebbed, and the fins are crumbly.

It is getting replaced ASAP after the Mid-Atlantic meet.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Something worthy of mentioning.

All aftermarket Insight radiators compatible with CVTs. There are no manual transmission specific aftermarket radiators.

This is true for most vehicles, and the reason for this fairly simple. A CVT/Automatic transmission radiator has a transmission fluid heat exchanger built in. If installed in a manual transmission, this heat exchanger simply remains unused.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread @Bull Dog. I'm usually in the run until it breaks camp. Seeing that stack of radiators you've got there has changed my mind. Only one of the 15 has the numbers more worn off than mine.
I used a rag to wipe it down to see them better. It didn't help but it did show The plastic is starting to spider web. It really looks like I'm on borrowed time here.

I would like to know the cost as well.

I'm also curious to know, how big is y'alls stack of heater cores. How often do those fail?
Keep in mind those aren't out in the elements, road salt, rain, 80mph bug, bird, and rock impacts. I'm not sure about the insight but most heater cores don't have plastic tanks either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got my radiator in the night before I intended to drive to Maryland for the insight maintenance meet, so I pre-gamed maintenance just before the drive by installing a brand new radiator. Went reasonably smoothly until I realized the parts store wasn't open yet and I didn't have any fresh coolant. After that was sorted, I got on with the bleeding procedure and haven't had any problems. The parts fit perfectly and seem to be of very high quality. I would definitely recommend contacting Bulldog about a radiator if yours is on its way out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts