Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem and Purpose of Project:
The Gen1 Honda Insight lacks a delay for the dome light when the door is closed. Getting into the car at night and closing the door is lights-out and you can fumble for the ignition position, your keys and seatbelts, especially with a passenger trying to get settled-in. The Gen1 Insight does provide a dome light-on function for when the key is removed, but it seems that the engineers only saw this need one way (on the way out).​

Solution:
I purchased a CentecWire light delay-to-dim module IL-2 at for $24.99 + freight.​

Centech Theater Style Lighting Control for Your Car
I have had problems with the shopping cart on this site. You might need to call them if you get frustrated.
This is an American made product and it works great. The delay is about 20 seconds and then it fades-out.​

Problem With The Solution:
Most cars and your home wiring are switched on the ground and not the hot side. The Honda Insight center dome light is indeed ground switched. The Centech module uses a powered positive lead for the delay and dim and it requires removing the ground-based wires from the light switch in the dome light and rewiring it to use positive. Not too hard and I have pictures for you to follow.​

Tools / Supplies Needed:
Small flat screwdriver (to remove dome light lens and remove wire spade from bulb socket)
Philips Head screwdriver ( to remove / install the dome light)
Wire cutters
Wire strippers or a knife to strip wire ends for hot wire jumper
Needle nose pliers (to remove a red / hot wire spade)
Small Shrink wrap
Electrical tape
Soldering Iron
Thin Solder
A few inches of Red wire (@ 18 gauge or just use 4” from the Centech module)
Bubble wrap or white packing wrap and tape
Centech IL2 or similar module​

Procedure List:
  1. Using the small screwdriver locate the thin slot at the center edge of the dome light lens and pry it out.
  2. Remove the two Phillips head screws next to the map lights. The dome light module will be released.
  3. Press the wire connector release to separate the light module from the harness. You should now be holding the dome light module in your hand.
  4. Find a suitable workspace with electrical power for the soldering iron. Use a box lid if possible to prevent damaging the underlying surface.
  5. See the images that follow. You will need to solder a hot wire jumper from at least one map-light (left or right light) bulb socket. You will need to remove all of the wires from the center switch. You will need to connect all of the ground wires shown in the images together and properly shrink-wrap and terminate them.
  6. When the soldering is done, plug the dome light module into the wiring harness and test out your handiwork. The ON switch should work and the center position to allow the door switches to work should also function as planned. Close the door and count to 20… Ahhhhhhh… Coooool!
  7. Wrap th Centech module in 1 layer of bubble wrap or a few wraps of the thinner white packing wrap. Use electrical tape to wrap up the module and packing. Stuff that into the headliner. It should not move, but it should not be too snug either.
  8. Reinstall the Phillips screws that hold the module.
  9. Retest the functionality
  10. Replace the outer plastic lens. Watch the tabs and how they go in.
  11. ENJOY!

·
Registered
156 Posts
No need to be a jerk about the picture size...

I say thank you for doing this.. I have yet anther project to do! How long is the delay and can it be adjusted? Video of it would be extra nice

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
kitkit

Did you ever get the CARD switch installed?

Willie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original pics were HUGE. I shrank them to 1024 X 768 so you are seeing big but not HUGE.

This does not allow a time delay. It comes out at 20-22 seconds and it is perfect. You put in the key, you buckle up, you put it in gear and it dims.

There are other devices out there such as this one:
Interior Light Delay, The ModShop

There are also build-it yurself kits for just a few $$. I took the pre-built and made in the USA approach. It came in three days.

To see the effect for yourself, turn on your lights and then turn off the car. You should see the light come on and hold for a few seconds and then dim-out. Simple. This does it when you close the door.

·
Registered
156 Posts
kitkit

Did you ever get the CARD switch installed?

Willie
Willie,

If you mean the Calpod switch, yes. I put it near the drivers side slots , but it's a big switch. I was thinking of wiring it up more locally to the steering wheel's cruise control buttons that dont' do anything right now..

I might even string some LEDs light for the trunk. I dislike the way the trunk light is situated on the left hand side and not overhead pointing down where most of the things are at.

I'm also gonna toy around with the custom LED tail lights as well. Man I should make my own thread..

The original pics were HUGE. I shrank them to 1024 X 768 so you are seeing big but not HUGE.

This does not allow a time delay. It comes out at 20-22 seconds and it is perfect. You put in the key, you buckle up, you put it in gear and it dims.

There are other devices out there such as this one:
Interior Light Delay, The ModShop

There are also build-it yurself kits for just a few $$. I took the pre-built and made in the USA approach. It came in three days.

To see the effect for yourself, turn on your lights and then turn off the car. You should see the light come on and hold for a few seconds and then dim-out. Simple. This does it when you close the door.
Okay thanks for the links on the internior light delay. I'll give that a shot ! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts