Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning,

Although many of you have stated previously that you'd be wary of buying an Insight on Ebay for good reason, I found a listing that not only is obviously fraudulent (ad says car has lifetime mpg of 53.9, and they include picture showing 41.5), but the seller when asked only got defensive and insultory. The seller is Bay Shore Automotive, in Florida I believe, and I just don't want anyone who is an Insight Central user to get screwed with a dog of a car being sold by some hack.

He really didn't like it that I questioned the accuracy of the ad, but in my opinion thats too bad. I was kinda bored at work today, so now I've got something to do, try and bug a hack used car dealer over the internet!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the link to the particular auction that I was talking about above:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

In the area where this particular hack describes the car, he lists a lifetime mpg of 53.9mpg. I, as other Insight owners probably would also laugh at, noticed that that particular mpg figure is not even possible. The calibration points on the mileage gauge in that area go from 53.5 to 53.8 to 54.0 to 54.2. I know this because at the moment my lifetime mpg is 53.8, and as I've most often driven in that area of the mileage meter from tank to tank, I'm quite familar with the increments that will display. When I queried the seller about that fact he just wrote a quick insultory email, to which I couldn't help but return the insult. If there were a way I could cause him more difficulties I would, just on principle. Posting here on Insight Central was the only way I felt that at least amongst the Insight community I could bring this sham artist to light.

Normally I don't get on a soap box too too much, but this one really p****d me off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
He also states under "comments" that the lifetime mileage is 56mpg. He gives two different figures, and the picture of the instruments gives the third and true MPG. 41.5 is awfully low. I also questioned him about the mileage to give him a hard time. No reply yet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had to pile on and send a email as well asking why the mileage is worse than the larger hybrids. Some day I am going to buy a cheap spare just in case Honda doesn't replace it in the future. Never understood why a popular car such as the CRX wasn't replaced with a new model. Have fun, Rick

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Just below the vehicule specs:

"Comments
56 LIFETIME MPG
AIR CONDITIONING
NON SMOKER
CARFAX CERTIFIED
NO PAINT WORK OR ACCIDENTS
ALL THE BOOKS AND MANUALS
5 SPEED
GREAT PRICE"

·
Registered
569 Posts
bayshoreautomotive is back on Ebay with yet another Insight, although this time he doesn't appear to have any contradictory information. I've noticed that the person who bought the other Insight from him hasn't left any feedback, positive or negative. By the way, I bought my Insight on Ebay and had no problems. In fact, it was the first thing I every bought on Ebay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My thoughts on buying used vehicles on E-bay

You make good points. I have bought quite a few vehicles (motorcycles and cars) off E-bay with mixed results. The ones from individuals have all been great and were honestly described. The sellers all had good reasons for selling. In a couple of cases, I requested that the seller take the vehicle to their local new-vehicle dealer (one of my choice) for inspection and I called and discussed the condition directly with the dealer's service manager as he was looking at the vehicle.

Once, I bought a 1-year old vehicle under factory warranty with a "clear carfax" in "mint condition" that after delivery I found had been wrecked and the body filled with bondo. It even had a bent frame -- I made that E-bay dealer take it back and make it worth my while or I would expose him on E-bay and file a formal complaint with the state where he was a licensed dealer. Another E-bay dealer sold me a "pampered, mint, low-mileage car" that literally had parts under the hood attached with baling wire and ducktape and had the bumper painted with a can of spray paint (none of his pictures showed any flaws). One current E-bay dealer that handles mostly lease car turn-ins and has a good track record is linked below: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtp ... affiliates

I just bought a 2003 CVT Insight last week from an individual seller on E-bay and picked it up this past weekend. It really is in pampered showroom condition with only 7K miles (and 6 months old). I got it for $12,700 which I thought was very good considering the condition.

It is always "buyer beware" but dealers on E-bay usually get their used cars from wholesale auctions (with no history or have been someone else's problem vehicles) or have ones to sell that have not sold locally on their lots (probably because they are flawed).

Just my thoughts. Best wishes.

Jimbeemer :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I note that HybridGuru won the original eBay auction mentioned above. Sound familiar?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___So that is where Hybridguru is purchasing all of those Hybrids from? It has lowered my opinion of his offerings unfortunately :(

___Let me pass on what was posted today in the Real World Trade in Value forum over at Edmunds by a relatively savvy Car Salesman …

on ebay have shady pasts.....while ebay serves to bring a much wider audience for your wares, it also serves to help you move vehicles that would never move in a normal retail environment -

___I just looked over some of the lmpg’s posted for his past Insight E-Bay purchases … low 40’s to low 50 lmpg’s on the manuals? Anyone else see a problem here?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:172pin5m][email protected][/email:172pin5m]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't bash people until you meet them

I got my little blue demon from HybridGuru this past June. Though mine was new, literally off the showroom floor, it was great dealing with him. I can't comment on any of the used vehicles since I didn't look at them.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ext1jdh:

___At least you received a newer one …

___Past auctions … There is the Silver 00 w/ an lmpg of 41.5 mpg, the Red 01 w/ an lmpg of 49.3, and the 00 Citrus w/ a 51.1 lmpg.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3hkshezo][email protected][/email:3hkshezo]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
xcel said:
<snip>

___I just looked over some of the lmpg’s posted for his past Insight E-Bay purchases … low 40’s to low 50 lmpg’s on the manuals? Anyone else see a problem here?
All I see are several Insights that haven't been driven to their potential in need of a good home :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Insightful Trekker:
Insightful Trekker said:
All I see are several Insights that haven't been driven to their potential in need of a good home :)
___You and I may never see eye to eye given I see at least 3 Insight’s (I don’t know the 4’ths lmpg) that have been abused and sold to whomever in the least questioning manner possible :( Maybe if they were CVT’s, but not 5-speeds …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:jivspgjm][email protected][/email:jivspgjm]

·
Registered
223 Posts
As I see it I tend to agree I dont see abused insights I see Insights driven like NORMAL vehicles not to full potential of mileage. just becasue of low LMPG doesnt necessarily mean abuse but just maybe someone whom purchased an Insight expecting the reported "fantastic" mileage claims and upon driving it like a normal car IE freeway cruise at 70+ all the time and not utilizing full potential of assist for accelerating or hard axcelleration. And not fully learning the unique driving style/ skills required to get exceptional mileage then upon dissapointment sold it.
So as I step down from soap box and still defend not steller LMPG figure insights I still love mine both curent and past which I drive as a normal person would and get on My CVT a LMPG so far of 43.4 with 29000 mileswhich is up from wifes of 32.3 when I took it over at about 21000 miles)on it and My 2000 5 spd with a mileage of 98000 when I traded him in with a LMPG of 56.7.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hybrid Guru in WI

I purchased my 01 Insight from The Hybrid Guru in WI last Oct. It had 56K miles & came with 12 months bumper to bumper waranty & 100K powertrain waranty.

I was very happy with the car & the way Chris Schneider treated me. He is very active in promoting Hybrids. He sponsors an annual "Green" day & invites all his customers to attend. He recently sold several new Insights to the local Lutheran Hospital. He has more Insights than anyone in the Midwast.

In my book he is top notch. He is the owner of a Honda Dealership called, Honda Motor Works in La Crosse, WI, Phone 888 434 6632

Dave in Kansas

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bayshoreautomotive now has two Insights on Ebay, both with 51.9 MPG, and both with nearly identical mileage. Could they have two listings for one car, then maybe drop the listing for the lower price :?:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts