Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yep... I bought the Helms for my Acura CL back in 2002. Best money I've spent on the car ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Currently I see some used ones on Ebay for $100 to over $180. Either the sellers haven't got a clue or are hoping a buyer doesn't. They are $56 brand new and covering all years 2000-06 from Helm Inc. at: 2000-06 Insight Service Manual - Helm Incorporated
Good advice. Thanks for spreading the word, Ati. :D

This should be a sticky or part of the "download manuals" sticky.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Ive seen seller doing that for other items too. I guess they hope you do not do your research before you buy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Or you're rich enough that your personal assistant doesn't need to care. :D

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Is there a parts manual or parts website that goes along as a good companion reference?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a lot , kinda one year behind haha. Still I've seen a lot of them on eBay and other sites but I always searched for them online or just bought them straight from the manufacturer

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those of us that are kind of late to the game, so to speak, is there a good place to find a 1st Gen manual? Or is ebay about the final place to look. I see that there is an "ebook" version available from one ebay seller. I'm guessing they just scanned in the physical book and are selling that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
For those of us that are kind of late to the game, so to speak, is there a good place to find a 1st Gen manual? Or is ebay about the final place to look. I see that there is an "ebook" version available from one ebay seller. I'm guessing they just scanned in the physical book and are selling that.
Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist are excellent places to find them. I usually go on there once a month and compile a list of all the ones for sale in the nation, and there's generally 20-40 for sale nationwide on Craigslist and 10-30 for sale on Facebook marketplace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good suggestions! Doing a quick search on both I came up with nothing, though. Are you using a specific search term? My Google Fu must be lacking....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but I'm gonna throw this out there for anyone looking in the future: you may be able to access a repair manual online, free of charge with a library card. My library gives me free access to ChiltonLibrary.com where I can view the repair manual for almost any car. I just have to log in with my library card info, through my library's link and it's free.

·
Super Moderator
7,640 Posts
A Chilton manual would be better than nothing, but it would be nowhere close to the comprehensive details in the Helm Manual. That has been my experience with various Chilton manuals. But certainly better than nothing................

The manual is currently out of print last time I checked, so something from eBay is a viable option, pricey as they may be. The prices among various seller do vary, so it is possible sometimes to find one at a reasonable price. I just helped a member with purchasing an Electrical Troubleshooting Guide for less than the original Helm price. One just needs to know what is reasonable. I forget the original Helm price for the Service Manual, but I think it was around $60 - not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
7,640 Posts
The owner of older Insights will badly need two references to troubleshoot and maintain their cars going forward. Although Insight Central members try to assist members in trouble, the help spotty and sometimes at odds with Honda references. The main two manuals are the "Service Manual" and "Electrical Troubleshooting Manual." Neither of these manuals are currently available from Helm, the original provider. Both manuals are sometime available on eBay, the for sale section of IC, and perhaps Craigs. The original price of the ETM was $50 plus shipping, and the Service manual was $56, if my research is correct. Of course those prices aren't inflation adjusted.

The most consistent source is eBay, but one must be wary of asking prices. Some sellers, but not all, ask exorbitant prices. I think the best approach is to do a rough calculation of what a reasonable new, inflation adjusted price might be and go from there. For example, right now on eBay is this bargain:

Just a little plea from someone who frequently tries to help. Though the manuals are available here in .pdf form, the file structure seems unwieldy and difficult, so getting effective communications with an owner in trouble is sometime difficult. EVERY OWNER NEEDS THE TWO MANUALS IN HAND :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts