Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery pack on my '00 5 speed with 157K mi. finally called it quits. :( The dealer said the battery and the controller needs to be replaced. Cost for parts and labor from the dealer came in at $6,200. I know, this sounds nuts! Obviously I am not spending that kind of money on a car with this mileage.

I'd appreciate hearing from you kind folks about what my options are. Are there afternarket battery packs available? Should I consider used components? Can I just drive the car on the gas engine and fire the entire IMA unit? I often wonder what my mileage would be if I were able to remove the IMA unit, electric motor, etc. and just run the gas engine. I drive highway, 70 miles one way each day to work. Can I take the assy out and still run the gas engine? If so, I'm thinking I probably wouldn't be taking much of a hit due to the weight savings and good aero at highway speeds. Acceleration is an issue, I realize.

Anyway, any input is most appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If I've read the other posts on the subject correctly, you would need to install an alternator since there isn't one, or your battery would quickly die. I am in the same boat as stated in my post. $4700 to replace the battery and module. Talk to the service manager, or call Honda customer service about Honda helping with the costs. They have payed a significant percentage for some in the same boat. I have 143,000 miles and have no hesitation about replacing the battery. The car should last at least another 100,000 miles as should the new battery.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Like the 3 most important things about real estate: location , Loaction, LOCATION. See:

US IMA warranty extension
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4796

If you reside in an "included" state then the warranty coverage (for most IMA battery problems) is covered 10/150K.

If you will also delve into these type posts, several being quite recent, you will also read that the controller(s) are likely optional and that the battery alone is a DIY (with some pre planning and basic self taught electrical safety education).

So your costs could be under 1/2 of what you've been quoted.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Have the dealership open a case for consideration of some good will out of warranty assistance. Honda has been very good about out of warranty help for IMA batteries and components. Worst case scenario they will say no, but I bet they will offer to cover at least part of it.

BTW, even if that quote included both MCM and BCM modules that's way high.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
185kts said:
The battery pack on my '00 5 speed with 157K mi. finally called it quits. :( The dealer said the battery and the controller needs to be replaced. Cost for parts and labor from the dealer came in at $6,200.
This dealership is a scam! No way it cost that much, so shop around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I agree that the prices are way too high but I may not have to shop around. I heard today from the dealer that Honda has decided to expand the extended warranty program to all states. I'm still about 6K miles over the upper limit on mileage but I guess Honda does not want to see these cars inoperative due to IMA issues. I intend to pursue this with Honda USA tomorrow. Stand by for an update...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh no, I'm over 113K. Am i getting near doomsday?
My first thought is to check the junkyards where the crashed cars live.
Maybe a battered-body Insight with a good battery is waiting for you.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You still have many options if you can not get warranty coverage. The cheapest is a do it yourself instalation with a salvaged pack for about 500 dollars (as recently done by one of our members). Another is a do it yourself installation of a new pack (as done by a British member). Various other options go up in price from there. Use the search function for the forum.

Do it yourself changouts are only for the trained/experienced. There is a lot of downside risk.

Hopefully you will get goodwill assistance from Honda. Keep us posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry about the long delay for the rest of the story...

Heard back from Honda USA. They rejected my request for consideration. Needless to say I was ticked. The car was approx. 6K mi over the extension but I had prior documented IMA issues noted by the dealer on at least two occasions. One was for very frequent regens. The other dealt with an entire IMA failure that was corrected by replacing the 12V battery. At any rate the guy working my case was not going to budge. The dealer put in a few good words but to no avail. I tried pleading and begging, stating my loyalty to Honda (have Odyssey van), long commutes, etc. Nothing seemed to work.

So, a couple of days later, while I'm researching how I am going install an alternator on the engine (to get by without the entire IMA system) I get a call from my friend at Honda USA. Turns out "something didn't set right" with him. He said he did more research, talked with his co-workers and decided to cover it after all. I have to pay labor. Honda is kicking in for the battery and required other modules. I'm back to being a happy camper again! 2.5 hrs of labor is a good investment for a totally new IMA system, I'd say.

Hope this helps others out there that have cars that are just over the extension mileage with no IMA. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up 185kts, many members don't go to this extra effort :!: :)

But just to clarify for those not reading the whole thread basically Honda is good willing the new 10/150k warranty extension a bit further IN THIS CASE. And it does NOT include the "whole" IMA system.

See:

US IMA warranty extension [edit] UPDATED to all 50 states!

For S.B. 06-027 see:
Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada and Texas
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 96&start=0

For S.B. 06-057 see:
Remainder of the 50 States not included in the above
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 6&start=60

Just a possible needed controller (depends on the "date" of the one currently installed) and the IMA battery pack.

HTH! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts