Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Insight. It has been flawless so far. But recently a problem has developed with the driver's door lock.

When I click on the key FOB to lock the doors, the 3 other doors do lock but the driver's does not. The only way to lock it is to force the lock lever on the inside of the door. And that one is really hard to move.

What is odd is that the key FOB will UNlock it without any problem. It's only the locking that does not work.

I did a lot of searching on this board and several people mention the door actuator. So I thought I would replace that. But much to my dismay, while most door actuators cost about $60, the one for the Insight has an MSRP of $277 !!!
It is part number 72150-TM8-A01

Does that sound right to you guys? Why is it more than 4 times higher than other Honda actuators?

Second question is: Does the actuator seem to be the correct diagnosis? I sure don't want to spend that kind of money only to find out that this is not the problem. The reason I am hesitant is that the unlocking works fine. So the little motor inside the actuator still works in one direction. Could there be another problem?

Thank you very much.

Bo
Los Angeles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the key works regularly, try to remove a covering of a door and to check serviceability of the mechanism and switches.
Perhaps, the dust layer was formed on the button or the mechanism needs lubricant.
Anyway use for disassembly: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/61922-download-2010-2011-insight-service-electrical-troubleshooting-manuals-pdf.html
At this the price is low: https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2011/honda/insight/lx-trim/variable-engine/body-air-conditioning-cat/front-door-locks-outer-handle-scat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent info there, gms24ru. Thank you very much.

The key has a really hard time opening the lock, just like the unlock button on the inside of the door. I get the impression that both of these actually activate the electric power when you try to use them. It's like a power assist for the brakes but it's for the locks. And that one only work for unlock but not for lock on my car. Really strange.

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
About 6 months ago, in the shop I had a customer bring in a Honda Fit, about the same age had the same problem. The part was about the same price. It’s not a small piece just like an actuator, it’s kind of like a door latch.

In our shop we see a lot of the similar types of problems on today’s modern vehicles. Many parts like switches, actuators, window motors etc... are made smaller, faster and cheaper that they have a higher failure rate. Also, fuel pumps/fuel pump modules have a very high failure rate. Many of these items are not serviable due to the way they are manufactured and or the components are not sold separately.

Best of luck,
Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the door panel once again and disconnected the door opening and door locking cable. I tried actuating the lock from there to make sure there was not a mechanical interference but there was none. The power door would unlock but not lock on the driver side door. All other doors work fine.

I could lock it manually by pulling on the cable and at that point if I pressed the key FOB lock, it would chirp happily because all doors were now locked. But but that does not happen when I lock it electrically.

I finally read the Insight Service Manual from the link posted above by gms24ru. Page 1819 shows a good way to electrically test the actuator.
If that fails, pages 1368-1370 give the instructions on how to replace the $$$ actuator.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed the test suggested on the service manual (applying 12v to pins 1 and 2 of the actuator connector one way and then the other way). As observed previously, the unlock works but the lock clicks as if a relay activated but there is not enough power in there to unlock the whole system. It almost feels like the little motor in there is tired and can't quite get the oomph to push all that hardware in the lock postion.

Here is a video of a guy who opened the actuator up and just replaced the motor inside. With a new part costing more than $200, it might be worth a try. Not much to loose at this point.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I took the door apart for the fourth time today trying to repair that damn actuator. I was following the official service manual and got to the part where you are supposed to disconnect the rod that goes from the door handle down to the actuator mechanism. And the thing just would not come out no matter how hard I tried to force it out. Really frustrating.

I created a separate post for this issue since it can relate to other repairs like door handle, door locks etc.

Here is the link:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/114642-how-disconnect-outer-handle-rod-driver-side-door.html#post1324738

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To update the thread, it took me several weeks to research the best way to do this and to buy some tools I would need to disconnect the locking rod. And all of a sudden, my wife informs me "Hey I noticed the door lock is working again" !!! Huh? Apart from taking the dorr apart several time to try and get at the damn actuator, I never actually got deep enough to fix anything. So why is it suddenly working after having caused problems for several months?

I have no idea.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe someone closed the door with more force than usual and that somehow got it "unstuck"...

Complete mystery but I am real happy I don't have to go back in there to try and fix it anymore. At least for now....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know if the lock actuator motor in the video will fit a 2010 Honda Insight lock actuator?

I followed the test suggested on the service manual (applying 12v to pins 1 and 2 of the actuator connector one way and then the other way). As observed previously, the unlock works but the lock clicks as if a relay activated but there is not enough power in there to unlock the whole system. It almost feels like the little motor in there is tired and can't quite get the oomph to push all that hardware in the lock postion.

Here is a video of a guy who opened the actuator up and just replaced the motor inside. With a new part costing more than $200, it might be worth a try. Not much to loose at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts