Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the door locks strange on my new 2012 model. When the door is locked, it can not be opened by just pulling on the lever. The lock must be manually or power unlocked.

Is this normal behavior? My passengers have to wait for me to unlock their doors! This is weird for me, I never noticed it before.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yes it is, you can however change how the doors lock. They do not have to lock automatically. You can turn that off. I would, but my wife is the primary Insight driver and she has them set to lock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes it is, you can however change how the doors lock. They do not have to lock automatically. You can turn that off. I would, but my wife is the primary Insight driver and she has them set to lock.
You mean the doors can lock automatically? Is this also available in European models? I cannot find it in the manual. How is this activated?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Auto door locks

In my 2013 manual, it describes accessing door setup menus by toggling the "Info" button (alongside right side of steering column). There are 3 settings for auto door lock: all doors lock when shifted out of Park, all doors lock when vehicle reaches 10 mph, and off (no auto lock). There are 5 settings for auto door unlock: driver door only when shifted into Park, all doors when shifted into Park, driver door only when ignition turned off, all doors when ignition turned off, and off (doors must be manually unlocked always).

My wife loves to have all doors lock as soon as possible and stay locked as long as possible. Most dealerships seem to set auto lock at a certain speed and unlock driver side only when shifted into Park. I hate that latter setting, because I always get out on my side, then remember I need to pull something out of the passenger side, but don't remember that side is still locked! Or I get out and walk away, only to find my passengers still trapped inside--and ticked at me. Thankfully, my wife doesn't get to choose the settings on the Insight, so all doors unlock when I shift into Park.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Damn! My Insight doen't have this feature. Maybe it's something for the U.S. market only?

I'm going to check with my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Auto locks

Damn! My Insight doen't have this feature. Maybe it's something for the U.S. market only?

I'm going to check with my dealer tomorrow.
Just did a *very* quick Google search. Did not find specific data pertaining to non-US, but all US Insights back to at least 2011 have the same autolock features, and at least some of them had it in 2010.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My UK spec 2010 I2 ES doesn't seem to have the feature either.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Setting door lock unlock on 2013 US EX

I had the issue of needing to set the locks to unlock when put in park and lock once you get up to a little speed. Took to the dealer and they set it through the driverside master door lock NOT THROUGH THE INFO BUTTON / MENU. It does not appear on my menu.

See the following link for how to do this: How to program and customize the auto lock/unlock on your Honda | Howdy Honda Blog

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just tried it. Doesn't seem to work om my NL Insight. Tried almost all options listed on that website.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? When shifting out of Park it doesn't matter to which position?
Does not work for the Greek (late 1999) Insight as well...
Shame... :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I called my cardealer about this autolock feature. Seems to be not implemented on European models. Strange, I thought they would leave this feature active and simply not document it. Apparently there's different software versions in US and EU cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find the door locks strange on my new 2012 model. When the door is locked, it can not be opened by just pulling on the lever. The lock must be manually or power unlocked.

Is this normal behavior? My passengers have to wait for me to unlock their doors! This is weird for me, I never noticed it before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts