Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching these forums on "door and panel and removal" yields posts referring to instructions on this site for correct door panel removal, but I can't find the instructions themselves. Help please!!!
Greg
70,000 miles, now 58 lmpg (declining every month)
mods:
K & N Filtercharger (does nothing)
Lots and lots of Dynamat (does something)
600 watt mono amp & sub (does alot)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Essentially here's how you do it.

Remove speaker grill and speaker
Remove 3 screws around speaker hole (there are three in addition to the speakers 3)
get small flat head screw driver and carefully pry the little flap out behind the door handle to reveal a #2 screw, remove it.
Pull the whole door handle assembly forward and it comes out.
Disconnect door latch release rod from behind this and remove the unit after disconnecting the wires.
Gently pry off the top and bottom covers on the door pull handle to receal two more #2 screws, remove the screws.
The little triangle piece at the top of the panel and base of window pulls off.
Now all that holds the door in place are the pop connectors, start pulling.

So total 6 screws should be removed. When putting them back on pretty much repeat. When putting screws back in gently back them till they drop in to the previous thread then carefully thread them back in. The tapped portion is just plastic and it's very easy to strip out.

Where are you located at? If your in the Phoenix area I'd be happy to help you as it's always nice to have someone help show you whats going on.

One more question... what cha planning to do? More insulation?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks. Now to find time to add the rest of the how-tos that I have pictures of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.
2 things: silicone paste and lithium grease into the window tracks and dynamat extreme insulation is going into the doors. Next, #5185 is going in for full tinting.

Two week from now I will be 'done' with my insight. So far I have done some things to reduce mileage ( normal 'toe in' front alignment, wider/bigger wheels), increase weight (insulation, amps, sub), reduce tickets (hardwired-in laser-radar detector), increase fun (Mp3 system with 6-disc changer, new speakers front & rear, amps, etc.), and put over 70,000 miles on the car in three years of ownership.

I live in NJ, which has (1) hills, (2) cold, and (3) traffic/congestion, and my Insight now is at 59 lmpg (declined from 61.3 at 45K). I think that the tires/correct alignment made the most improvement in the car from a driving standpoint and whacked the mileage figures the hardest. Since the swap (10,000 miles ago), I have't gotten more than 570 miles out of a tank.

Now if I could just make it so I could talk on my cel phone at highway speed and not have to yell . . . .

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Like Rick saied, very nice "Howto" pages Dazey

Glois, can you pump up those tires more?
They are not LRR, like mine (185/60r14 at 44 psi)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Your going to wounder how you ever lived without insulation in the door panels. You not only make a significant decrease in road noise (between the doors and the rear hollow well you gain the most noise reduction), but you also get better sound from your speakers. The doors will sound less hollow too when closing them.

I'm still curious how much noise the dynamat dropped compared to the carpet pad I used.... $30 at radio shack you can get a noise level meter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick-
I also Dynmat'ed the rear deck, as well. I removed completely the "soft trunk", spare tire, etc and laid dynamat extreme over all aluminum in the rear. I cut holes for the various vents in the back. I also placed 4 inch foam acoustical foam everywhere it would fit (i.e., around, on top of spare tire, etc., and replaced ONLYthe top carpet. The "soft trunk" now lives in the attic serving as a storage bin for an old comforter set. A complete enclosure sits in the trunk with the sony 8" in a non-ported enclosure, fit to trunk. With the rear carpet "flipped up" my sub is revealed to all. Flipped down, it is a stock insight. I have lost the use of the trunk, but I don't care, as I find the trunk entirely unpractical. You have to lean in at a very acute angle to put anything in there, either getting your pants wet (oh I forgot it does not rain in AZ) as you lean against the car or straining you back if the item is large/heavy. The dynmat was necessary to reduce rear wheel noise which was quite loud with stock tires.
As for running these tires with higher pressure, I prefer to enjoy safe cornering, braking, and neutral (read as: my car does not wander across roadways like a hobo on crack ) handling dynamics. I think the Insight would be perfect stock out in AZ, where (I imagine) the roads are in good conditin due to lack of snow, there is less traffic (to pull you out of lean-burn) and it is flat for long stretches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts