Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my speakers with a pair of Kenwoods that sound really good. But in order to get them to sound so good, I cut out the plastic basket that sits behind the speaker with a jigsaw. Massive sound improvement and general de-honking - but - that basket served the purpose of deflecting water that ran down inside the door from the back of the speaker - kind of like an awning. With it gone, I get water leaking in through the speaker hole in the door (when it rains).

I made a replacement "awning" out of heavy tarp plastic gusseted with duct tape. The flexible plastic prevents the honking, crappy speaker sound of before, but the duct tape isn't holding up very well. It seems to dry out, stiffen and lose its stickiness. And then leak again.

Any recommendations for a more flexible tape with good stick/hold? Or a better way to weather-shield the speaker holes?

- Bob

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The most stable tape product I have found is aluminum tape. The adhesive is so strong that it has a backing that you must peel off before use. A roll could set you back 5 to 10 dollars but it is a great asset for many obscure tasks such as resealing ink cartridges and fixing small gutter leaks. It can hold up for years even outdoors. :D (I believe this is real duct tape as opposed to the Red Green stuff or "duck" tape. :roll: )

My roll says Venture Tape, Rockland MA, USA.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the stuff you're talking about. Good stuff, but possibly not flexible enough for my needs. However, I'm willing to try anything, so I'll go source some at the local hardware store. Or Home Despot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts