Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Insight 2010 for a little more than 2 months, and I just had a very odd problem. About 10 minutes ago I was getting out of the car I tried to open the doors with the switch inside the car, it made some weird electrical sound and didn't open. The I open manually, got out and locked the car. I had to come back to pick up something and the car simply wont open anymore.

There's a red light that usually keeps blinking at the panel and I noticed that it is not blinking anymore. Is it a battery issue???

How can I open the car????

Did anyone had this problem before??

I went to work this afternoon, and stop for shopping after, everything was ok with the car. It doesn't make any sense that the battery just died. So how will I be able to open the car again??? Is it enough to call a locksmith?

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
The key should open it manually.
"Red Light Blinking" indicates the security system (From the dealer?)
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! that's what I think, but it's stuck... nothing happens.
Do you know if there is a hidden key hole on the passenger side? I tried to take a piece off, but it doesn't come out, I'm afraid I would break it.

But anyway, even if the light is a security system, isn't it weird that it stopped blinking?

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Just noticed you have posted in the G1 Forum, someone from the G2 forum will have to help. The G2 has a bad habit of failing electrical stuff when the 12V battery is dying.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. I'll try that. I didn't notice it.

So this might be a problem with this battery? and how do I replace it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I was able to open the car with the help of some friends. What actually is happening is that the drivers door is stuck in locked position and it's not opening.
The security system light was off because the door was "unlocked", when I lock with the key, the light turns on again. So it's not battery.
I had to switch off the battery of the the car because the anti-theft system was sounding the horn, and even if I turn the car on, the horn keeps sounding as if the car was broken because it is locked.

How to fix that?

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Please click "User CP" above and edit your profile to show your general location. That is helpful since someone close by might drive by and help.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I would still recommend you have the 12 volt battery under the hood load tested. If it is original, it is past time to replace it. I doubt this is an isssue with the button cell in the key that operates to keyless entry. But that battery being weak will cause you endless headaches having weird things happen that will seem really serious and expensive to fix. We have folks around here with 2010s that are on their third battery. Please note: the battery pack in the back that provides assist (and starts the car most of the time) is called the IMA system.
Another reason you need to put your location in your profile is that we have members all over the world. The Insights where "packaged" in terms of accessories and features differently depending on where they were sold. It also helps if you know what model you have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!! I just add my location to my profile. I live in Fort Worth.

How can I know witch generation is my Insight?

I really appreciate all the help! I'm going to look for more information about the volt battery here in the forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Gen 1 Insight is model years 2000-2006, and is a 2 seater with wheel covers in rear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But if it is the 12v battery, the car wouldn't start the engine right?? I can turn the car on, and I can probably drive it. I just haven't done it because the horn is sounding on because of the anti-theft system.

I talked to a mechanics in front of my complex apartment, he says it might be just the piece inside the door that needs to be put back in place or something like that. But he doesn't fix it himself, and the guy that fix it will be there only Monday morning.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Good looking car. Hope you get it sorted out soon. You might try disconnecting the horn wire until you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK! I was able to turn the alarm off and turn the car on. The battery on the mid screen seems to be dead, but then it charged back.
Now I can open the door from the inside, but not from the outside with the key.
I can drive the car but the gear now is locked in parked, so I need to push a button besides the gear box to put it in neutral position and like that I can drive.
I'm at a mechanics right now to check the battery. Are those symptoms of a dead battery?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This car is CRAZY!!!!! I was at the mechanics right now, he tested the battery that is good, and apparently the problem was only because the battery cable was a bit loose, after he tightened it the door started working just fine. The the gear lock thing was happening because I took the horn fuse out earlier today (the alarm was on), after I put it on again it started working fine...

It still sounds very weird to me and I'll be taking the car to a mechanics that works with hybrid cars.

As I'm afraid it might lock shut again, I left the rear windows a bit open, but hopefully it wont happen again.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
A loose connection at the battery is the same as having a weak battery, PERIOD. It is the amperage that changes with a loose connection. Basic Electronics.
I wouldn't worry about it. Research and knowledge can be your friend.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, yes of course I understand that. I'm just trying to get more familiar with how the car works, I have it for a little more than 2 months as I said. It was scary to know that the battery can lock the door like that.
But I love this car!

I appreciate all the help from there community here! Thanks ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Don't spend money before you have to!

Now that the cable is tightened and everything looks good, drive it a few days and see if it checks out. Mechanics are expensive;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a good point!

I just realize a problem! Now the computer of the car is reseted. I lost all my mpg, it's showing 9.3mpg, and the radio is asking for a code.

Is it possible to recover? What should i do?????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
5 Participants
renacaceres
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing