Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

2001 Insight 187K 5speed. I installed a grid charger a year ago, now I have to charge it every 2 weeks before P1447 code shows (followed by P1449) if I don't charge it.

There is so much "Opinion" on here about the Dorman IMA battery. I'm curious as to anyone having actual experience with a Dorman IMA battery? A shop in Florida is offering to install a Dorman IMA part & labor for $2,000 with a 2 year parts/labor warranty. I am aware of the P1449 code "not" being covered.

Thoughts on this? I'm either going to get this deal or drive the car back to California where I'm from, to actually find a buyer. No one has or wants this car in Florida lol.

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I'm their authorized installer in Wisconsin.

Not sure why your Florida guy is saying the part warranty would only be 2 years.
Dorman packs that I sell/install have 3 year warranty.
That is Dorman's standard warranty.
Brand new cells.

Have done plenty of them over the years and not had them come back on warranty.

Don't forget that you have other options besides Dorman as well.
Hybrid Revolt.
Bumblebee Batteries.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
^I don't think they're competitors, exactly... Someone buying a pack for a car in Florida isn't going to have it installed in Wisconsin...

insight2001, here's a thread with some info that's fact-based - though of course there's a lot of theorizing and such... http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/21489-amp-hour-counting-obdiic-c-gauge-3.html#post706674
There's a couple graphs with performance for a Dorman and performance for a Betterbattery (same cells as MaxIMA, revolt, etc., and probably even the Dorman). GTS had/has a Dorman pack, maybe he's still around, somewhere (haven't seen him post in a long while though)...

I know you want responses from people with firsthand experience with a Dorman, but I can't stop myself from opining here. If installation is a major hitch for you, so much so that $2000 installed seems like a good deal, then I'd say just go for it. No one's gonna come up with any real comparison data here. If you're lucky you might have 1 or maybe 2 people chime-in saying, 'Yeah, I've had a Dorman pack for a couple years and haven't had any problems.' From the sporadic things I've read at IC the Dorman packs probably use the same sticks as all the others, maybe they aren't put together as meticulously as they could be. But seems like chances are good that you'll have a pack that works fine... I think I'd use that grid charger at the get-go though and charge the pack to full when I bought it, make sure all the cells are charged up the same...

Having said that, I do think it's worth the extra $ to buy from Bumblebee - not sure how much more they charge - it's something like $2200-$2400 - and to do the install one's self, provided that's possible (like if one can physically lift the pack and has twiddled a screw driver and wrench before, has the spare time, then I'd think it's possible)... Bumblebee's probably more careful with what they sell, has more of a vested interest in the product, and a longer track record, better rep around here... And as you mentioned, that 1449 code thing with Dorman - you want to overlook that but I find that factoid hard to swallow, that Dorman doesn't cover P1449 errors. Doesn't make any sense, so it scares me away...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Eric - I like your courtesy towards your competitors.
Bumblebee and Hybrid Revolt are not my competitors.
They are my suppliers.
Well respected suppliers, especially in this community.

I buy, sell, and install parts.
I'm happy to work with any supplier. I've installed Bumblebee packs, as well as packs from other suppliers. I've installed OEM packs as well (Toyota)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
So it says,

P1449 - Indicates a faulty connection at the orange connector to the MCM or a bad MCM.

Is that true? Would a new MCM fix a P1449 code?

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
So it says,

P1449 - Indicates a faulty connection at the orange connector to the MCM or a bad MCM.

Sometimes.

P1449 indicates pack temperature problems, tap voltage imbalance or severe pack deterioration depending on the blink code.

Tap voltage disparity (failed cell) and severe deterioration are the primary causes of P1449.

A bad connection or a bad MCM can too, but there are usually other codes associated with the P1449 in that case.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
To draw out the .pdf info, they say with a new battery clear codes on installatin of the new battery then if problems:
"Codes that warrant a return for service: P1446/74, P1447/77
Although the following codes are associated with the battery system, they do not indicate an internal battery failure and do not justify a warranty return:
P1432 - Is caused by a faulty MCM.
"
p1432 73 appears same as 1449 73

·
Registered
128 Posts
Where in Florida are you? (I'm near Gainesville.)

If you've installed a grid charger, you've got the ability to install a new battery? (I put in a Hybrid Revolt solo about a year ago.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
So it says,

My pack failed in October with a P1447 that escalated to a P1449-78 a week later. A new pack solved the problem and did not require a replacement MCM. In fact, my MCM is the latest revision that Honda released. Two and a half months now and the new pack is working fine and the MCM is maintaining the SOC.

The 78 DTC is a deteriorating battery code. So either Dorman has failed to recognize the various DTC's on a P1449 or they would rather not deal with a truly bad pack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts