Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm new to the forum and a new Insight Owner (2005 Navy Blue Pearl CVT) and I'm about to go on vacation for 2 weeks. I was wondering if there's anything I need to look out for with having my Insight sit for that long. I may ask a neighbor to start the car up once every few days, but only if that will be beneficial in any way. I guess I'm concerned mainly about the battery losing it's charge. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for this great forum by the way - I have been lurking for a while and I have learned quite a bit from reading the posts here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've let mine sit for 2 weeks before. It had most of it's charge left, and started right up. In fact, I think I let it sit for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think up to two weeks it's fine, any longer your supposed to turn the IMA breaker off. It wouldn't hurt to drive it a few miles inbetween, but it's probably not necessary. I've left mine for a week and a half before. At worst if the battery self drains enough it will recalibrate and figure out where it's supposed to be at and it will be fine again after that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
james said:
Couldn't have been too often, though, as the gas tank was still near full.
Umm, how many hundreds of miles do you live from town? :wink:
It's an Insight, remember.

I don't drive daily--usually it sits for at least a week, often two. My only worry is the 12 V battery, as lead-acid batteries get degraded if they sit discharged. If you have a charger to make sure it's topped off before leaving it that's good, but two weeks isn't all that long.

Options for longer periods (not needed for two weeks IMHO):
-disconnect the 12 V battery (I'd disconnect the ground wire). That resets the state-of-charge meter, so you'll be getting a lot of forced charging until the system gets the battery full and resets itself (positive recal).
-Put the battery on a (good quality, automatic) float charger. I have a little one made by Vector that seems good.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
NOVA Driver said:
I may ask a neighbor to start the car up once every few days, but only if that will be beneficial in any way.
Idling a cold engine like that does alot more harm then good.
It will not get up to tempeture so the oil contaminates will accumulate much faster then they will boil away.

2 weeks is nothing, just store with a full fuel tank to prevent water condensation in there.

Nothing will happen to the main battery pack in 2 weeks, but it doesn't hurt to disconnect the 12V battery just to make sure it doesn't drain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
james said:
The round trip is about 35, and a couple hundred miles or so is enough to show a noticable change on the fuel gauge. So over 4 months, that's 1 trip per two weeks, max.
you friend drove the heck out of it and simply filled-up the tank upon your return. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies. Never having an electric component to a car engine before I wasn't sure if letting it sit would be a problem. I'll just fill up the tank before I leave and it should be fine.
The neighbor still may want to drive my car around while I'm gone though, as she has never seen another Insight much less gotten to drive one!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Insight has been parked for 2 weeks on a couple of occassions with no problem whatsoever.

On another occassion it was parked for 2 months and the 12-volt battery was completely drained and then would not hold a charge for more than a few hours. Fortuanately the Insight was a few days shy of being 2 years old and the battery was replaced under warranty.

Have fun with your new Insight. I really like the newer blue color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts