Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am planning to install an in-dash GPS on my Insight but after looking at the din for a bit, I figured it would not work because the temp control comes out a little to make it more user friendly for the driver so if the in-dash monitor flips upwards, it will hit the temp control. I also thought about controlling the angle of the flip but it will probably tilt downward and with LCD screens, the contents of the screen will not be visible.

I then browsed honda.co.jp and found that they have double-din consoles, or rather, they are convertable to double-dins. I was wondering if any members have done this and apart from flyinf to Japan, any websites might sell this kit.

Thank you so much for reading, hope to hear from somoeone soon!

K

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I have a Japanese import with the double DIN Honda Navigation Unit. From what people had said on this forum I thought that the dashboard surround might be unique for the double DIN setup. However I also bought a UK spec Insight with the usual single DIN stereo and found that it had a small cubbyhole with flip-down lid below the stereo and the dashboard surround was identical. If this is the same for the US spec then all you need to do is remove the cubbyhole to have a double DIN size hole.

You are right that a navigation unit with a flip-up display would not be able to properly flip-up. The alternative is to get a single DIN navigation unit; I bought a great Alpine unit which has a good graphics display within the single DIN space plus a strong, polite female voice telling me what to do..... :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Citrus Smoothie,

Thanks for the reply friend, I also saw the single din radio w/ cubbyhole on honda.co.jp and I have again confirmed that honda really likes to export cheaper version cars to the US. For us in the US, our radio dins are strickly single, it maybe the american's obsession with large beverages so the cup holder can fit a taller drink. Anyhow, thank you again for your reply, : ).

K

The Citrus Smoothie said:
I have a Japanese import with the double DIN Honda Navigation Unit. From what people had said on this forum I thought that the dashboard surround might be unique for the double DIN setup. However I also bought a UK spec Insight with the usual single DIN stereo and found that it had a small cubbyhole with flip-down lid below the stereo and the dashboard surround was identical. If this is the same for the US spec then all you need to do is remove the cubbyhole to have a double DIN size hole.

You are right that a navigation unit with a flip-up display would not be able to properly flip-up. The alternative is to get a single DIN navigation unit; I bought a great Alpine unit which has a good graphics display within the single DIN space plus a strong, polite female voice telling me what to do..... :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've had the same though for a possible future installation. To properly get a double din opening in your US insight all you'd need is the trim piece from a Japanese car and one from a US car and have them laser cut. The trim piece is essentially just backwards from the US one so you'd cut out part of each and make a right side drive one.

This wouldn't be cheap but it's the only thing that would work and make it look proper. And yes a din sized screen unit will hit the AC controls when it pops up. However, I may have found something that would work:
http://www.yoniusa.com/productView3.asp?productID=3866

The screen comes out and sits essentially centered with the rest of the deck.

Also, if you do go with a custom cut double din size trim opening I think you'd only be able to fit soda cans or small cups in the cup holders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts