Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching and searching, I found a picture of the UK's right-hand-drive Insight....and YES, it has an LCD display for the radio. Is there any way of finding this, and modifying it for the US models? Anyone over in the UK looking to sell??? :)

I'm going to do a mock up with some HD Foam and build one out my carbon fiber if I can't find a GPS and Nav system from the UK.

Please contact me if you're looking for any carbon fiber parts to be built for your Insight...

Thanks,
Jeff

I don't know how to attach a picture...but I'll gladly e-mail it to you.
[/img]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I thought about this back in 2001 when I bought my Insight. I'm pissed that Honda doesn't feel the U.S. is a good enough market to give us this option.

But to answer your question, to my knowledge no body makes this part for left drive Insights.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have had a theory on how it could be done, and I'm just waiting to win the lottery so I can drop a few grand to do it. What you'd have to do is get the trim piece from a left hand drive car and a double din one from a right hand drive car. You'd get one out of the two by having them laser cut and very carefully glued together so you'd have a double din opening with the left hand drive mounting.

In my opinion this would be the only way to make it look right. With laser cutting the seam would be almost invisible, any other method and your going to end up with an obvious cut mark. I'm sure you'd be spending a couple hundred bucks to make this happen as well, mostly in importing the trim piece from Japan or Europe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
SHOOT!!!

Just custom fab a whole new center consol piece out of carbon fiber. Use the UK/US dashes as a molds to blend it out, and do your own.

Its not like it is that big of a piece!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rick said:
In my opinion this would be the only way to make it look right. With laser cutting the seam would be almost invisible, any other method and your going to end up with an obvious cut mark. I'm sure you'd be spending a couple hundred bucks to make this happen as well, mostly in importing the trim piece from Japan or Europe.
The dealer I just bought my '06 from is looking into getting me this piece from Japan. I also found that you can buy the US version for around $41.00 so I'll have a couple to chop up/play around with. A custom shop here quoted me $250 to fabricate a new piece that would have a double-din opening. He also said that they'd cover it in vinyl. VINYL??? There has to be a more stock looking way to pull this off.

Cap'n. . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts