Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it would even fit, but does anybody know where to find the center console part that would allow a double din radio to fit like this:

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/in ... 9/009.html

Or if that isn't possible, has anybody dropped a video screen anyplace in their insight? I'm looking to get some sort of navigation/DVD unit with 6-7 inch screen that has video in. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The Japanese right side drive one is backwards, so no it wouldn't be a drop in one, but I've had a theory on how it could be done, but no one has actually attempted it. I was going to try it eventually if I had my Insight long enough.

What'd you have to do is get the Japanese double din dash piece (would probably cost you $75-$100 to get one imported here) and also have the us left side drive dash piece. Both would have to be laser cut so there would be no noticeable seam, but it should be doable. Glue the large opening in to the US one and you would have a left side drive double din opening that would look factory.

The problem with single din units with a pop out screen is they come out and go up. If there was one that came out and went down it would be fine, but the ones that go up would hit the AC controls. Some have mounted these type units a few inches comming out of the dash to the screen would clear the AC controls, or there are some single din units that have a small 3" screen on the front as another option.

I'd still like to see someone try my idea of making a left side drive double din trim piece using the Japanese double din opening.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to have one imported. It might be a while but I will report back when/if I get it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow. please keep us updated. I have wanted to take on this project since I got my Gen1.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I remember seeing pictures of it being done. Some stuff had to be trimmed, and there was some gaps visible. It wasnt perfect.
I know the thread is somewhere, will have to search for it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I remember reading that there were LHD Insights, possibly European models, that had the double-din stereo panel. I didn't get any more details than the speculation though, so take this for what its worth (1/100 of one cent)

(edit: please ignore this message, the other thread with my info source is bumped up to the top along with this one, and i cannot delete this post)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts