Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago on a long trip I found that my main battery was draining out but was not recharging. Even the forced recharge was not working.

I decided to check the battery earth lead from the small battery and this was well greased. I decided to investigate all the earth leads I could find and clean them up and cover them with petroleam jelly. This had an immediate result and within a few miles my battery was fully recharged.

Should cleaning and greasing (with Peroleum jelly) the earth leads be an item done when the car is serviced?

Chris Thomas

·
Registered
364 Posts
Grounds

Hi Chris,
Jack again, On my '00 Insight I learned the hard way. Had a devil of a time with recals till I did the grounds (earth). One in the firewall for the negitive batt cable and the two over by the air filter. Be sure to remove the paint and primer from the contact surfaces.

On my new Insight I learned my lesson, did the connections the day I got the car home new from the dealership. If you do them right you should only need to service them once a year.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Chris,

JackMPG's got the bases covered. ;)

In regard to petroleum jelly, in most climates it doesn't have heat resistance characteristics sufficient for the task. It will melt off rapidly. I used silicone grease. There are also products made for aluminum wiring used for power distribution.

Salty environments add to the corrosion factor. I'm in a "low" salt area. When I checked mine at 3 years old (no symptoms) there was no visible evidence of corrosion. Which is also hard to "see" if you don't know what your looking for. Insights exposed routinely to ocean air or salt for snow removal appear to exhibit the problem more rapidly.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In my opinion, the ground leads are very poorly constructed and should be replaced. The stock leads as I'm sure you know are basically a copper wire that is "naked" and crimpted to a standard eyelet. As the copper is unprotected it corrodes very quickly if the car is winter driven. Proper ground leads are available that are sealed at both ends or they can be made yourself if you are handy with the torch. In either case it is very important to coat the terminals, bolt and body connection with dielectric grease to help prevent future issues. The condition of this grease should be checked at every oil change.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dowsingthomas said:
A few months ago on a long trip I found that my main battery was draining out but was not recharging. Even the forced recharge was not working.
On a recent drive, my battery level got down to slightly below half full, which it almost never does, and the level would not go any higher even going down hill with my foot on the brake. Normally it would charge back up pretty quickly. It eventually finally did slowly begin to charge and finally became almost fully charged. Strange thing was that I was getting great mileage. Would this possibly have something to do with the leads needing greased? Can someone point out just where these leads are for someone who doesn't know his way around under the hood :? ? Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
In my opinion, the ground leads are very poorly constructed and should be replaced. The stock leads as I'm sure you know are basically a copper wire that is "naked" and crimpted to a standard eyelet. As the copper is unprotected it corrodes very quickly if the car is winter driven. Proper ground leads are available that are sealed at both ends or they can be made yourself if you are handy with the torch. In either case it is very important to coat the terminals, bolt and body connection with dielectric grease to help prevent future issues. The condition of this grease should be checked at every oil change.
I used dieelectric grease when i replaced my ground wires as well

Here is a picture of the stock ones from honda. The Long one is #2 replaced sometime around 60K by honda, the ones i put on were very high quality thick ones from UAP NAPA Auto parts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I can't quite tell bit those look just as bad as Honda's grounds to me. Exposed copper, unsealed crimps, etc.

This picture isn't exactly a close up but it shows what I mean about good grounds. These are the main power and ground wires for my RX-7:

The cable is 4 gauge with lugs that I soldered on. The lugs are thick copper lugs from a welding store. At each end the cable is packed with dielectric grease and then adhesive lined heat shrink tubing was used to seal everything up. In this way no moisture can enter the cable.

I'm going to be making a similar set for the Insight when the warm weather shows up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts